• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Eastern Audio transformers: any good?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've used 2 pairs of these output trannies for my KT88 and 2A3 amps including a PSE running at 120mA per channel with no problems.In my opinion you can't go wrong with them although I haven't used the power trannies but the opt's are excellent for the money.To get better you'd have to spend twice as much.

The attached photo is my SE KT88 amp with a pair of 6L6GC's in.

Attachments

• se 6l6(2)(2)3.jpg
    se 6l6(2)(2)3.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 775
They sound very good for the price,plenty of bass and detail.I get earbashing volumes from my Lowther acousta's but I'm using wharfedale super 8 drive units as I can't afford Lowthers atm:(

The mains tranny is one that Ingo at Shinrock.com wound for me and is totally silent,both electrically and mechanically so I might give their opt's a go.

What's good? What's bad?

It is really hard to tell until you have some comparisons.

I used both the Plitron toroid and Hammond OPT's for my SE amps. Surely Plitron is more superior in sound, quality and price as well.

I have just heard a SE KT88 Mono block made in HK. It uses small size power and output transformers. The highs are pretty high and lack of deep strong bass.

That makes me believe the size of OPT matters if you love bass.

Johnny

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.