• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

a 5ar4 problem

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
HI all,
I am trying to feed my 5ar4 filament with DC voltage...., since my transformer doesn't have any 5vac winding. It turns there is no DC output at its cathode! I only measured 260AC at its cathode. It's like the rectifier got no function at all. The DC pass the tube directly! What gives? I flow the filament supply. It should be OK.
Lhchen

I measured around 250vac at foot 2 and 8 of 5ar4. Where is my dc output? I didn't ground the filament... and no load at all

Attachments

• help.jpg
    help.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 325
5AR4

My only question is WHY????
You do not need DC on the rect filament. Just hook the rect. to the 5V winding. The output comes off of the cathode-heater pin.
Your schematic does not show a center tap on the HV secondary. This must be connected to ground to get a positive voltage at the cathode of the rectifier.
There will be pulsating DC at the cathode. This requires filtering to be used.
Hope this helps
Ed

martinab2 said:
Ok, this might be a silly question... but its not clear from you schematic. I'm assuming that the ht transformer is centre tapped with the centre connection being the negative side of your circuit. Can you confirm that this is the case?

Nice pick up, Martin :) I never thought it was something so basic...

Lhchen, don't give up on valve rectifiers - the transformer is the problem, and not the rectifier. I suppose you could try using two solid state diodes to make a hybrid Graetz bridge rectifier using your transformer without a centre tap. I think you should get 700VDC or so out of it that way.

Lhchen, don't give up on valve rectifiers - the transformer is the problem, and not the rectifier. I suppose you could try using two solid state diodes to make a hybrid Graetz bridge rectifier using your transformer without a centre tap. I think you should get 700VDC or so out of it that way.

I am using that Graetz already. Thanks for the help!
I have never tried this tube rectifier before. It's too much trouble really. I am considering 5ar4 this time, because I got a large Lundahl transformer and a large chassis. There is plenty of power and space to WASTE.:devilr:
Thanks for all the help:wave2: :wave2: :wave2: :wave2: :wave2: :wave2:
Lhchen

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.