coupling capacitor intermediate values - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th February 2005, 07:47 PM   #1
adam12 is offline adam12  United States
diyAudio Member

Default coupling capacitor intermediate values

I'm making my first tube power amp which requires 150nF 400V coupling capacitors between the driver and power tubes. I was trying to use audio grade capacitors but I am having trouble finding this intermediate value. Am I better using a 100nF or 220nF or using a combination to get closer to the 150nF? Any recommendations would be sincerely appreciated.
Thanks
Adam
Old 12th February 2005, 08:58 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to Sch3mat1c Send a message via AIM to Sch3mat1c
Either one will be suitable alone.

Tim
Old 12th February 2005, 09:10 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Without seeing the schematic of the amp you are building, giving advice is a bit of a guess. However, I say go with 220 nF. A coupling cap. forms a high pass filter with the grid resistor of the following stage. You might lose some bass if you use 100 nF.
Old 12th February 2005, 09:44 PM   #4
adam12 is offline adam12  United States
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the replies Tim and Eli. I am trying to make the Vanderveen Plitron el34 push-pull. http://www.plitron.com/PDF/PB/Article/Atcl_4.pdf

After a bit of searching I ran across the partsconnexion which has a huge selection of both the values I need and a wide selection of audio caps. I couldn't find a way back to the moderator to stop the post but thank you just the same for the information.

I hope I made a reasonable choice. I have been mulling this over for way too long and just had to jump in at some point. It's ime to get busy. I liked the idea of being able to try out several amplifier arrangements with modifications to one basic assembly. I know it is push-pull but I have to start somewhere.

Happy listening.

Adam

Hide this!Advertise here!