pre/amplifier grounding - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th February 2005, 11:42 PM   #1
Alkis is offline Alkis  Greece
diyAudio Member

Default pre/amplifier grounding

Hi all,
I 'd like to have your opinion about grounding methods.I always used not to connect earth with chassis but on Sakuma's page 10.big.or.jp/~dh/inside/index.html yoy can see the two point earth method.
Ok,this seems to reduce HUM problems.But isn't it possible to pick up some noise from other sources?
What about the grounding star,that is used by the recording studios?
And what if a capacitor breaks down(PSU for exable) and the chassis bekome hot?In some cases we have a totally destroyed cap,in some others a resistance appears between the electrodes and for electrolytics that are polarised near the nominal engraved voltage, some may ask not "if', but "when".
Thanks in advance for your kindly assistance and don't bothere about my English.
Old 18th February 2005, 02:16 AM   #2
benny is offline benny  Australia
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to benny
Grounding your chassis may have created earth loop problems if your input jacks aren't electrically isolated from the chassis.

Star grounding is a good method when done properly.

Your fear of the chassis become live in the event of a filter cap faliure is nothing to worry about, as this won't happen. If the chassis is grounded, it is at earth potential... you can even stick a live wire directly onto the chassis while touching it (the chassis) and you will be safe as all you're doing is shorting the potential to ground. The worst that will happen if the chassis comes into contact with a live wire is you will blow a fuse (should you have a fuse in place, if not, then more damage may take place, but you will be safe).
Old 27th February 2005, 03:29 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Ok Benny,
thanks for replying.I guess,I'll ground the amplifiers this way
Old 27th February 2005, 04:57 AM   #4
Bill*B is offline Bill*B  United States
diyAudio Member

Hi,

An article which helped me is posted online at Aiken Amplification under "Tech Info". Follow the links to "Advanced" and on to "Star Grounding".

Regards, Bill.
Old 27th February 2005, 08:56 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Thanks Bill,
I'll study the hole article tonight

Hide this!Advertise here!