• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

pre/amplifier grounding

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all,
I 'd like to have your opinion about grounding methods.I always used not to connect earth with chassis but on Sakuma's page 10.big.or.jp/~dh/inside/index.html yoy can see the two point earth method.
Ok,this seems to reduce HUM problems.But isn't it possible to pick up some noise from other sources?
What about the grounding star,that is used by the recording studios?
And what if a capacitor breaks down(PSU for exable) and the chassis bekome hot?In some cases we have a totally destroyed cap,in some others a resistance appears between the electrodes and for electrolytics that are polarised near the nominal engraved voltage, some may ask not "if', but "when".
Thanks in advance for your kindly assistance and don't bothere about my English.
:confused:

Grounding your chassis may have created earth loop problems if your input jacks aren't electrically isolated from the chassis.

Star grounding is a good method when done properly.

Your fear of the chassis become live in the event of a filter cap faliure is nothing to worry about, as this won't happen. If the chassis is grounded, it is at earth potential... you can even stick a live wire directly onto the chassis while touching it (the chassis) and you will be safe as all you're doing is shorting the potential to ground. The worst that will happen if the chassis comes into contact with a live wire is you will blow a fuse (should you have a fuse in place, if not, then more damage may take place, but you will be safe).

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.