Melbourne, Australia valve enthusiasts check in! - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd February 2005, 02:06 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Melbourne, Australia valve enthusiasts check in!

I've noticed there are a number of members particpating here who are located in Melbourne. I'm curious if any are interested in gathering to meet, listen to music and share ideas? I'd be happy to host a small gathering at my place in North Melbourne. Let me know here if you are interested in attending.

Jeff
Old 2nd February 2005, 03:24 AM   #2
abj1 is offline abj1  Australia
diyAudio Member

Happy to Jeff,

Sounds like a brilliant idea. I too had noticed a disproportionate number of knowledgeable people posting in this forum from Melbourne. Something in the water......good karma from a great place to live.....who knows?

Cheers,
Andrew.
Old 3rd February 2005, 09:02 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Hmmm.... it doesn't look like you're getting much of a response, Jeff. There are lots of people doing DIY in Melbourne, maybe some loudspeaker, or even squalid-state people might make it more of an occasion.
Old 3rd February 2005, 09:27 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Hi Jason

There are at least half a dozen that occasionally post here in the Tubes forum that are from Melbourne. I'm hoping that a couple more speak up. I'll probably invite one or two more valve enthusiasts who don't post here. I couldn't comfortably host more than 6-8 anyway - houses in North Melbourne just aren't all that big!

As for SS, I'm using a chip amp at the moment myself! I had to disassmble my valve breadboard a while back and haven't built anything up since returning from holiday.

It may end up being just a one off gathering, but I thought it might serve to stir up some enthusiasm or at least provide an opportunity to do some parts bartering.

Jeff
Old 3rd February 2005, 09:31 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jeff mai
As for SS, I'm using a chip amp at the moment myself!
Shame, shame

Actually, I just checked my e-mail and saw that you had invited me. Thanks, but I really haven't got all that much to show at the moment - unless you like listening to a bunch of various parts and a few valves sitting in boxes? Things might change by early March though...

EDIT: hmm.... another incentive to get that project finished!
Old 3rd February 2005, 10:00 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by audiousername

Thanks, but I really haven't got all that much to show at the moment - unless you like listening to a bunch of various parts and a few valves sitting in boxes?
That's not a worry. I wasn't thinking of a demo session necessarily. I don't have anything to show! The next two projects in my pipeline are chip amps and then I've agreed to do a repair job and a prototype build, both for other people.

We'll see if anyone else is interested. Andrew (the other poster above) comes by my place occasionally with his new creations. I was thinking others might be interested in joining in.
Old 8th February 2005, 07:19 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Bump. There will be a gathering at my place soon. Shout if you are interested.
Old 20th February 2005, 12:11 PM   #8
MIKET is offline MIKET  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to MIKET
Default Meeting in Melborne

I will be in the Melbourne area on business in early March, would like to make contact with a fellow Audio DIY'ers from Australia. Is your gathering still on?
Old 20th February 2005, 11:48 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Hi Mike,

Do you know what days you'll be here? Maybe I can try to schedule something.

Judging from the lack of interest (I know there are nearly a dozen Melburnians that post in this forum) it may be just you and I - and I don't have a valve amp built at the moment!

Jeff
Old 21st February 2005, 09:56 AM   #10
MIKET is offline MIKET  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to MIKET
Jeff,
Will be there March 1-15, will be very busy during the week, but have weekends off for the most part.

Hide this!Advertise here!