• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Melbourne, Australia valve enthusiasts check in!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've noticed there are a number of members particpating here who are located in Melbourne. I'm curious if any are interested in gathering to meet, listen to music and share ideas? I'd be happy to host a small gathering at my place in North Melbourne. Let me know here if you are interested in attending.

Jeff

Happy to Jeff,

Sounds like a brilliant idea. I too had noticed a disproportionate number of knowledgeable people posting in this forum from Melbourne. Something in the water......good karma from a great place to live.....who knows? :D

Cheers,
Andrew.

Hi Jason

There are at least half a dozen that occasionally post here in the Tubes forum that are from Melbourne. I'm hoping that a couple more speak up. I'll probably invite one or two more valve enthusiasts who don't post here. I couldn't comfortably host more than 6-8 anyway - houses in North Melbourne just aren't all that big!

As for SS, I'm using a chip amp at the moment myself! I had to disassmble my valve breadboard a while back and haven't built anything up since returning from holiday.

It may end up being just a one off gathering, but I thought it might serve to stir up some enthusiasm or at least provide an opportunity to do some parts bartering.

Jeff

jeff mai said:
As for SS, I'm using a chip amp at the moment myself!

Shame, shame :whazzat:

Actually, I just checked my e-mail and saw that you had invited me. Thanks, but I really haven't got all that much to show at the moment - unless you like listening to a bunch of various parts and a few valves sitting in boxes? :D Things might change by early March though...

EDIT: hmm.... another incentive to get that project finished!

audiousername said:

Thanks, but I really haven't got all that much to show at the moment - unless you like listening to a bunch of various parts and a few valves sitting in boxes?

That's not a worry. I wasn't thinking of a demo session necessarily. I don't have anything to show! The next two projects in my pipeline are chip amps and then I've agreed to do a repair job and a prototype build, both for other people.

We'll see if anyone else is interested. Andrew (the other poster above) comes by my place occasionally with his new creations. I was thinking others might be interested in joining in.

Hi Mike,

Do you know what days you'll be here? Maybe I can try to schedule something.

Judging from the lack of interest (I know there are nearly a dozen Melburnians that post in this forum) it may be just you and I - and I don't have a valve amp built at the moment!

Jeff

It looks like Saturday 12 March is the preferred day. Probably in the evening unless that's a problem for people. So far there are four of us. If others are interested in attending let me know.

Mike - send an e-mail to me through the forum and I'll send you my phone number.

Melbourne get togther

Jeff I will be glad to e-mail you hoever it is blocked through the site. You can however e-mail me with no issues just click the email button at the bottom of my post. When you do I will also give you my yahoo e-mail so you can contact me in Australia.

You mentioned earlier that you had not finished your tube amp.
There is a very simple 1-2 watt amp that can be built from a 6c45 tube. I built a variation on this a few years ago.
The article is www.valvediy.com/va022002kugelis.pdf
The only thing is you must have very efficent speakers but the sound of a 1 triode amp is incredible.
I can't bring a lot with me on an international flight but I will bring some CD's and if you like I could bring some 6c45 triodes.

Re: Melbourne get togther

MIKET said:
Jeff I will be glad to e-mail you hoever it is blocked through the site.

Oops...I forgot I didn't enable that! I'll send an e-mail to you in a few minutes.

No need to bring any valves. We'll have something going. Andrew is bringing his amp. I'm going to try to have my prototype of Gary Pimm's PP47 running. I've got all the parts, pretty much, except for the CCS parts. Since the DN2540's are proving tough to find, I'm going to try the IXYS 10M45S part instead.

Hi Jeff,

I am more than happy to bring my current project over to the Melbourne gathering... perhaps as a starting point to get a discussion going.

As it stands at the moment it is a long-tail paired 6F8G into differential 6K7G (ie remote cutoff pentodes) into push-pull 6V6G's. Has a few unusual features... fixed bias which is valve rectified (6H6), E-linear connection around the output stage, pentode connected 6V6's with VR tube regulated screens, separate rectification and smoothing of B+ for the long-tail pair stage (although running off the same secondary winding as the output stage). No boutique parts though, just an exercise in the exploration of topology and heavy... with luck this will be enough to get the ball rolling on some useful discussion :D

Cheers,
Andrew.

Greetings from the other Melbourne

The Melbourne meeting caught my eye. Then I realized you were talking about the *original* Melbourne, way down under. Anyway, from the rather sizeable tube gang here in Melbourne, Florida, USA, we hope you have a great meeting. We'll be thinking of you from the diametrically opposite side of the globe.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.