• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

8233 / E55L Applications

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Had to clean out my utility area so our heating system can be serviced & found a box of tubes put back & long forgotten. In it were (6) Amperex 8233/E55L's.

I've read a number of references as to its potential suitability as a triode connected driver in a 2A3 SET, but has anyone actually built one or know of one out there?

Just curious how it worked out.

speaker

Speaker,
I’ve been running an 8233-RC or IT coupled-300B for about a year now. 8233 choke loaded (48H) with Vp 200V, Vbias -4.1, Ip 50ma, AC on filaments, cathode resistor 82 ohm. It’s a lot of horsepower to throw at the 300B but I sure like the sound. I’m sure it would work just fine with a 2A3 as well.
Since you have speakers that are happy with 2A3 power, why not build up a 8233 spud amp? You will need to use a 1:4 input trans step-up or a preamp to get full power but its an easy way to hear the 8233. Have fun.
Matt

mwiebe said:
Speaker,
I’ve been running an 8233-RC or IT coupled-300B for about a year now. 8233 choke loaded (48H) with Vp 200V, Vbias -4.1, Ip 50ma, AC on filaments, cathode resistor 82 ohm. It’s a lot of horsepower to throw at the 300B but I sure like the sound. I’m sure it would work just fine with a 2A3 as well.
Since you have speakers that are happy with 2A3 power, why not build up a 8233 spud amp? You will need to use a 1:4 input trans step-up or a preamp to get full power but its an easy way to hear the 8233. Have fun.
Matt

Thank you Matt.

Exactly the kind of "what-if" I was looking for!

speaker

Hello ,
I built such an spud amp many years ago , with studio input transformers from the german V 75 studio amp and with cheap output transformers ( 5 k ) from Italy .
Cathode resistor 60 ohms/470uF , 500 ohm gridstopper with ferrits and 140 volt B+ , current ~ 50mA .
A nice sounding little amp .
Regards , Alex .

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.