Newbie question on cheap amp kits - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th August 2002, 03:49 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

Dave,

I like your idea, but I don't think I have the experience to select the right components to match the existing iron in the amp I buy.

I really don't think I will need a push-pull amp. I did a test with me sound level meter in my room and I think SE amps could give me what I want.

I originally created my budget of $500 because i saw kits for $600-700, and I thought I could make one cheaper if I did it myself. After studying it more closely, I realize my budget may be too low. For instance, I found this simple 300B schematic:

http://indigo.ie/~walton/300b.html

Doing an estimation on the cost of all the components recommended would be over $900, and this is for a simple setup. Now all of the components recommended seem top quality, maybe I can reduce the cost by going for cheaper components and then upgrading the amp later.

Andrew
Old 8th August 2002, 05:27 AM   #12
dice45 is offline dice45  Germany
diyAudio Member

Andrew,
1st,
Bottlehead kits have such a long waiting list because they offer an extremely good bang for the buck.

2nd,
one of our member's, Gabevee, offers an amplifier kit right in your budget. to me it seems from what he write on his website he is knowing well what he is doing.
And, i would be glad, selfish me, to have some 1st hand experience report.
If i would be you and could live with a power amp alone, i would definitely go with the tube-rectified version. And i would not hesitate to order the kit with Magnequest transformers. (I am not happy with the Mike the Magnequest guy but his trannies are extraordinarily good; Gabe certainly knows why he is offering them). I would spend those $175.

The amp i am meaning is here

But Gabevee also has two single ended designs which cost slightly more. The reason why i recommend the pushpull amp is because it gives you a wider range of speakers the amp is happy with.

On my open baffle speaker i prefer a Manfred Huber's 2.5W PP amp to any SE amp so far. Better control. The amp has Magnequest nickel trannies BTW.
Dave, you hear me, i am not kidding.
Old 8th August 2002, 05:45 AM   #13
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by dice45
On my open baffle speaker i prefer a Manfred Huber's 2.5W PP amp to any SE amp so far. Better control. The amp has Magnequest nickel trannies BTW.
Dave, you hear me, i am not kidding. [/B]
I hear you. Next task is fixing the roof, then it can start raining and i can get in the lab and get some amps built -- i have the raw material for the EL84 PP sitting where i have to look at itnevery day as i walk past.

Have i "seen" Manfred's little amp?

dave
Old 8th August 2002, 06:14 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

Just wanted to inform everybody that I have ordered a PP kit from Gabevee. I did go with the tube rectifiers and got it without a chassis so I can make my own. Thanks for all the input.

Andrew
Old 8th August 2002, 04:45 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Andrew,
There is a Texas Bottlehead group on Yahoo. Find it and join. There are a number of DIY tube guys in Austin that belong to this group and having gone to a meeting the gear is not just stuff from Doc Bottlehead by any means. You need to get the email for a member whose handle is Twystd or something simular to that. He is or was a dealer of TJ 300Bs. I am sure he would let you listen to his rig.
Not knowing what your speakers are if they are towers with 4 way crossovers of 24db slopes and zobels etc a SE will not work as the cross would suck all the power before it even got to the drivers.
Watts and SPLs can be very misleading. I listened to the new TOTL KEFs yesterday and even though the factory specs rate them at 91 db I don't know that they would sound good on my 300B because of the complex crossover network.
Synergy is all.

Hide this!Advertise here!