• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Opinions: best current production tubes

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a matched quad of Electro-Harmonix 6V6GTs that sound great in my stereo amp... I have compared them with my quad (not matched) of RCA VT-107 which are supposed to be the best, and i preferred the EH for their nicer treble and more "open" sound. The EH were far superior to the quad of Brimar 6V6 that I also have. I would compare them to Ked Rad 6v6 but i only have 2!

I think its great that there are still companies making these things!

Has anyone else found really good current production tubes?

Svetlana 12AX7

I am using 6 pieces of these in my pre-amp. They are said to be current replicas of the legendary box plate Mullards. Since I never afford to have the Mullards I do not know if the Svets are close comparisions or not.(any inmates did this?)

Svet 12AX7 sells for US$12 a piece.

They do sound sweet comparing to Telefunkens ECC83 with more extended highs, better defined bass and no loss of midrange informations. The result: I sold all my telefunkens.

I heard that Nato tore it pretty bad. I'm not sure why they would since there is such large stocks of made for military by the Soviets floating around, I am sure nobody ran out of tubes for the kind of APCs etc the factions had to use. As cheap and easy as RPGs and LAWs are I wouldn't have wanted to be sitting in light armor anyway. Probably most of the tube usage was for radar, and I guess if I was a pilot I would want to even the odds in any way I could.
Tube guys just get no respect from the general public. I carry a nonusable tube around with me so I can show it to people in garage sales. Got an ST-70 out of an attic that way, so I ask.

Re: Ei Ei O!

Neutron Bob said:
I liked the sound of a set of Ei (Yugoslavia) 6922s years ago, but availability pushed me to the Sovtek tubes.

Was the Ei factory bombed into the stone age along with the Yugo factory? Anyone know?
Apparently the factory is still in production and was never seriously damaged. This was discussed in the Tubes forum at AudioAsylum recently. Please not the response of both Uncle Ned (owner of Triode Electronics, Chicago) and Jim McShane, both tube dealers.
http://www.audioasylum.com/audio/tubes/messages/92732.html

HTH

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.