8233, 8116 & 6BZ6 valves - what are they good for? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th January 2005, 07:01 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default 8233, 8116 & 6BZ6 valves - what are they good for?

I have recently come across a huge stock of 8233, 8116 & 6BZ6 valves and would like to know if anyone knows of a DIY tube amp, pre-amp of headphone amp that uses any of them.
If so, please direct.
Thanks
Jack
Old 14th January 2005, 07:16 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

You can search for the datasheets here.

The 8116/YL1071 is a valve I've been trying to find (in vain ) ever since Paul Leclercq (7N7) sent me the triode mode anode characteristics for this valve. E-mail me and I'll forward them to you if you'd like them.

Jason
Old 14th January 2005, 03:03 PM   #3
7N7 is offline 7N7  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

You are very lucky to have found 8116s. They are listed (when they can be found) at stupid prices.

This is truly a super valve; 60W Pa, only 11W to light it up, anode resistance a mere 650 ohms, very linear, a choice of 13 or 26v heaters. Lovely things

The only problem is the exposed anode pins, but a little adventure is no bad thing in todays "nanny" environment!

7N7
Old 14th January 2005, 03:08 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

By the way, I was recently very kindly given a pair of YL 1150s; this one's a cracker too and usually a horrible price. (the "0" at the end or the type number implies that the type is a prototype)

One day I might even have time to do something with them.

It's a beam tetrode. 75W pa. According to Mullard data, with 600V on the anodes and 300V on G2 a pair will give 200W in AB1 at 2% THD.

Another excellent example of the direction that valves were going before they were scuppered by a lot of cheap and often dubious silicon!

Imagine if the valve makers' research departments had survived for a few more years.

7N7
Old 15th January 2005, 11:51 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

7N7, Welcome back after a one year hiatus!

The 8233 is no slouch either. It's one of those gold-pin special quality pentodes with a high transconductance (~50mA/V). As a triode it has m30, and rp600ohms, and is far too linear than it has right to be. (Triode-mode data attached).

I was dreaming last night that I found this stash....

Jack,
I don't know of any designs out there on the web (or anywhere else for that matter) which uses these valves. It's probably because they're not all that well known.

I noticed from your profile that you are an EE, so you probably don't need our help designing something with these valves, but if you do, just ask.

But if you're willing to sell them to a guy here in Melbourne...

Quote:
Originally posted by 7N7
Imagine if the valve makers' research departments had survived for a few more years.
I do every day.

Jason (still dreaming of 8233s and 8116s...)

EDIT: When I said "a guy in Melbourne" I didn't mean Circlotron
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 8233 triode.jpg (68.2 KB, 1152 views)
Old 15th January 2005, 12:11 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Yeah, 6BZ6. mmm...

First-generation Astor TV sets circa 1956 used four in the video IF strip and two in the sound IF. 20 or 21 tubes in all IIRC. Must have been good to work in that design lab where the mandate was to design something to work properly, not just barely good enough.
Old 15th January 2005, 05:13 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Default 8233

Quote:
Originally posted by audiousername
[B]7N7, Welcome back after a one year hiatus!

The 8233 is no slouch either. It's one of those gold-pin special quality pentodes with a high transconductance (~50mA/V). As a triode it has m30, and rp600ohms, and is far too linear than it has right to be. (Triode-mode data attached).

I]
Thanks for the friendly greeting audiousername.

Ha - my fading memory; of course 8233 = E55L;

I used to have a few of these but I flogged them off to a fellow enthusiast.

My friend EC8010 and I have discussed E55L and have never managed to find a use for them. The problem is the very low anode voltage limit; and following tests where I very easily blew one up, the makers obviously meant it - with some types you can get away, if not with murder, certainly a little "GBH".

If you want to run a linear triode-strapped pentode with medium mu and decent gm, have a look at E282F. Mu is 25 and gm about 30 (therefore ra = 800 ohms)and you do not have to run 50mA through them; pa is about 5W.

7N7
Old 15th January 2005, 09:51 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Default 6BZ6

I took the opportunity to have a look at 6BZ6.

I cannot see any audio application for this one; it's just a little variable-mu pentode.

The only possible use given its reasonable Ra (about 250k) and gm - about 8, would be as a small pentode current sink.

However there are far better pentodes for this purpose - 6AU6 with its Ra of between 500k and 1M is far better and it is beautifully linear - makes quite a nice triode too and there are probably millions of them!

7N7
Old 16th January 2005, 06:23 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Default Re: 8233

Quote:
Originally posted by 7N7
My friend EC8010 and I have discussed E55L and have never managed to find a use for them. The problem is the very low anode voltage limit; and following tests where I very easily blew one up, the makers obviously meant it - with some types you can get away, if not with murder, certainly a little "GBH".
I saw the pentode-strapped distortion spectrum in Valve Amplifiers. I bet distortion up to 12th harmonic would sound mighty ugly!

What I was thinking is perhaps a single-stage SE amplifier with the E55L in triode mode. With its 10W Pa rating, you'd probably be getting 2W or so, though choosing a loadline that doesn't stray much above 200V might reduce this a little. Maybe for an office or bedroom amp, or an alternative to 45s (though I somehow doubt the DHT only gang will accept this...).

Jason

EDIT: Is that a YL1150 in your avatar? I can't find a datasheet so I don't know. By the way, they can be had round here for around ₤17, but then you have to ship them halfway round the world.
Old 16th January 2005, 10:06 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Re: 8233

Quote:
Originally posted by audiousername

I saw the pentode-strapped distortion spectrum in Valve Amplifiers. I bet distortion up to 12th harmonic would sound mighty ugly!

What I was thinking is perhaps a single-stage SE amplifier with the E55L in triode mode. With its 10W Pa rating, you'd probably be getting 2W or so, though choosing a loadline that doesn't stray much above 200V might reduce this a little. Maybe for an office or bedroom amp, or an alternative to 45s (though I somehow doubt the DHT only gang will accept this...).

Jason

EDIT: Is that a YL1150 in your avatar? I can't find a datasheet so I don't know. By the way, they can be had round here for around 17, but then you have to ship them halfway round the world.
Hello.

Ha-ha! I cannot see the DHT advocates being impressed by an indirectly heated triode - let alone an indirectly-heated, triode-strapped MODERN pentode

Seriously I think that you are right: ulimately you have to swing some volts to get the power and E55L/8233 is reluctant to let you do that. However since it is so easy to drive, why not have a go?

I'm a bit rusty, but with its low anode resistance might not it be suitable for a small p-p amplifier using a toroidal mains transformer as the output transformer? And in p-p you'll cancel even order distortion (well most of it anyway!).

The new avatar shows a Mullard TY4-400. This is a 400W directly-heated (Hurrah!! )Class B RF Industrial heating valve. Filament is 5V @ 14A and they can run at up to about 3kV (they are similar to TB3-750) I had a pair of these and having a very large transformer, thought about a really silly amplifier. I did build a test rig to make some curves and ran it up about 1.2kV - with its 5V filament, an old computer PSU was perfect to light it up. Of course it was all nonsense so I sold them.

I would be willing to buy a few YL1150s if they can be sourced; perhaps I'll build a rig and do some triode curves; I'll bet it would be excellent

Best

7N7

EDIT

The data for YL1150 are on Frank's; I was wrong about the g2 voltage for 200W: it is 250V. Pa is 75W. Of course with a maximum g2 limit of 300V UL is out - at least for big power - but I imagine that it would be safe up to 400V as a triode (like 6146) or there's the possibility of beam tetrode operation with a bit of feedback if you're a mathematician and can do the physics

Hide this!Advertise here!