Any subs for 6N1 & 6N2 twin triode valves? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th January 2005, 11:39 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Any subs for 6N1 & 6N2 twin triode valves?

I have an amp that uses two of each of these Chinese/Russian 9 pin miniature triodes and I just cannot obtain exact replacements easily. I would like to know if any more radily available tubes in North America can be subbed successfully for these. I subbed one out in the amp with a 6DJ8 and it worked but I didn't do any instrumentational testing on the amp at the time so I don't know if performance was as good, better or worse.

Thank you for any input.
On April 01,2012, my radioastronomy Project TARGET SETI search succeeded. The signal came via extradimensional subspace, not radio waves. I now get a lot of 'visitors'. I took my avatar pic of one friend watching me in my work yard from just 20 ft. away.
Old 12th January 2005, 03:56 AM   #2
X.G. is offline X.G.  China
diyAudio Member

Hi,

I found these(say : the same type)

6N1 : *6H1П、6AQ8、AA61、ECC40/82

6N2 : *6H2П、6AX7、6AV7、ECC41

from here
http://www.ds-hifi.com/dgzl/dangguan12.htm

I am not tube guy,but I think you may substitute to much more dual triodes
Old 12th January 2005, 01:01 PM   #3
nanana is offline nanana  Sweden
diyAudio Member

hey!
6N1P is 6BK7, 6BQ7... not 6AQ8
it is "remote cut-off" for AGC stuff and TV/FM tuner front end. nice tube.
jc
Old 12th January 2005, 01:53 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by nanana
hey!
6N1P is 6BK7, 6BQ7... not 6AQ8
it is "remote cut-off" for AGC stuff and TV/FM tuner front end. nice tube.
jc
"remote cut-off"?pentode?

No!I am convinced of that the 6N1 & 6N2 are dual-triodes.I have many of them
Old 12th January 2005, 05:20 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

thats remote cutoff triode! not pentode... this simply means that the triodes mu varies with bias... this is useful for many things. particularly AGC and compressor/limiter stuff. with a fixed bias or a small signal... the tube's mu doesn't vary. great all around preamp tube. you can make a vacuum tube volume control with it too!
jc
Old 12th January 2005, 11:09 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
thats remote cutoff triode! not pentode...
Oh!....I am not a tube guy ....I just know the pentode have the remote cutoff type, not the triode. Is really what you say ?

I have the datasheet of 6N1 & 6N2.If anyone is interested in that,I would post all here.

This is the first page
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 6n1-1.jpg (35.4 KB, 1019 views)
Old 13th January 2005, 03:00 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

hey X.G.
i'm afraid you are quite mistaken...
remote triodes are common and important for RF and AF. again, i repeat: a remote cutoff triode is simply a triode designed to vary the mu with bias. if you look at the russian 6N1P data sheet that has the plate curves, you will see if you look across the 5mA line on the plate curves that the curves flatten out as the grid bias increases. not as much as some other tubes but enough to qualify as "variable mu". actually, the 12AU7 is also quite variable mu as well and is used in one very well known and much admired studio compressor (tube tech). i don't think anyone would describe the 12AU7 as "remote cutoff" but it definitely is. in any case, a quick look at the 6BK7 data sheet will show you how close the 6N1P is... just because the tube is variable mu doesn't mean that its no good! it simply means that if you vary the bias, the gain changes. this was done to make automatic gain control (AGC) for radios and mic preamps and many other clever things.
jc
Old 13th January 2005, 04:09 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Thank you all for your assistance. I remembered that I had a 5 pack of NOS, NIB General Electric 6BK7B's and tried one today in one channel instead of the 6N1. It appears to have the same gain and sound in this circuit. It sure is a radically different tube internally though. The 6N1 has a U shaped folded plate on each side of a wide flat cathode (like a 6J6 or 6080). The 6BK7 is very tiny and looks a bit like the triode section in a 417A with a very small cilindrical cathode. I am pleased that my 6BK7 shows no sign of microphony and is otherwise dead quiet. I want to put the amp on a scope and see how the alternate tubes look.

I recall that I had used a 6DJ8 instead of the 6N2 at one time as a test and it appeared to work fine. I see that I have other alternatives. I have a good stock of NIB, NOS 6ES8's (remote cutoff triodes otherwise identical to 6DJ8) and plan to try these as well out of curiosity, and of course 6922.

BTW, the amp I'm playing with is a lovely little MingDa MC34-B. The factory supplied, performance selected 6N1's and 2's are excellent and non-microphonic but I know they won't last forever.
On April 01,2012, my radioastronomy Project TARGET SETI search succeeded. The signal came via extradimensional subspace, not radio waves. I now get a lot of 'visitors'. I took my avatar pic of one friend watching me in my work yard from just 20 ft. away.
Old 13th January 2005, 07:32 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
hey X.G.
i'm afraid you are quite mistaken...
remote triodes are common and important for RF and AF. again, i repeat: a remote cutoff triode is simply a triode designed to vary the mu with bias. if you look at the russian 6N1P data sheet that has the plate curves, you will see if you look across the 5mA line on the plate curves that the curves flatten out as the grid bias increases. not as much as some other tubes but enough to qualify as "variable mu". actually, the 12AU7 is also quite variable mu as well and is used in one very well known and much admired studio compressor (tube tech). i don't think anyone would describe the 12AU7 as "remote cutoff" but it definitely is. in any case, a quick look at the 6BK7 data sheet will show you how close the 6N1P is... just because the tube is variable mu doesn't mean that its no good! it simply means that if you vary the bias, the gain changes. this was done to make automatic gain control (AGC) for radios and mic preamps and many other clever things.
jc
Thanks a lot for your kind reply and the detail explanation

...my more infos of the Chinese tubes :

Basing on the history reasons,Chinese tubes almost are based on/same as the Russian tubes,and their parameters are identical in generally:

the chinese website shows that:
http://www.ds-hifi.com/dgzl/dangguan12.htm

1.6N*(6N1P,6N2P....etc) is based on 6H*( 6Н1П,6Н2П..) of Russian tube...(I type that below in simple : 6N*=6H*)...... IIRC,All are twin triodes

the link is for hint:
http://tdsl.duncanamps.com/tubesearc...tnSubmit=Query

2.6J*(6J1P,6J2P...etc) is based on 6Ж*(6Ж1П,6Ж2П...etc)...IIRC,all are pentodes.

the link is for hint:

3.6P*=6П*....IIRC,they are 'power' tube (including pentode,beam tube ...and the type which I don't recall ...etc)

4.6C*=6C* of Russian tube....IIRC,they are single triode(I just know a bit about them,cause they are less for us )

5.FU-*=гY-* ...IIRC,they are radio tubes for transmmit

good luck

X.G.
from China (of cause!)
Old 13th January 2005, 09:28 AM   #10
diyAudio Senior Member

Hi,

6N1-P a variable mu twin triode?

I thought the 6N24-P was such a tube, not the 6N1-P.

Anyway if you need some I found a vendor in Holland who should still carry both the 6N1-P and the 6N2-P:

RUSSIAN TRIODES

And an other source:

BTB ELECTRONIK

Cheers,

Hide this!Advertise here!