• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Voltage problem

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

I have a transformer that after rectification gives 130-140V dc (on rails), but schematics says voltage should be 160V.

Can you tell us what the secondaries measure (AC) before recification?
What type of rectification did you use? Full wave? Full wave bridge?
Was the load attached when the measurements were taken?

Otherwise, if the xfromer can put out about twice as much current than the load attached draws, you may need to consider using a voltage doubler as your PS.

Cheers,;)

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

I also think voltage doubler is not a good option 'cause I'll need to regulate voltage down to 160V.

I still feel 160 V B+ for a preamp is way too low unless you're building a CF perhaps.

If you do the voltage doubler with a couple of single diode tube rectifiers + a PS choke you should arrive at about 250V B+ which constitutes a good starting point.
Otherwise you'll likely end up with something resembling a compressor instead of a preamp.

Cheers, ;)

fdegrove said:
I still feel 160 V B+ for a preamp is way too low unless you're building a CF perhaps.

Something wrong with CFs? :cannotbe: :D

If you do the voltage doubler with a couple of single diode tube rectifiers + a PS choke you should arrive at about 250V B+ which constitutes a good starting point.

Say, what is the transformer rated at anyways?

Otherwise you'll likely end up with something resembling a compressor instead of a preamp.

Now now Frank, don't scare the poor fellow. You know as well as I do that compression only happens when overdriving a cathode-biased stage (out of class A1 into A2 or AB).

(Which reminds me of an interesting tidbit, before I used Hept'AU7 and Frankenhouse for my system here, I used Revision 3 instead of one... at low volume, they would be equal; at high volume, Revision 3 - which is cathode, not fixed bias - was quieter. Near, but not over driven BTW. Since I won't tolerate imbalance I of course opted for the setup here...)

Tim

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

Something wrong with CFs?

Like in if you want gain, that's what wrong with them...

Say, what is the transformer rated at anyways?

As it was used for feeding a sextet of ECC88s, it should be O.K. currentwise.

Now now Frank, don't scare the poor fellow. You know as well as I do that compression only happens when overdriving a cathode-biased stage (out of class A1 into A2 or AB).

I knew you'd trip over that one.
Should have said : "You'll have the impression of listening to a preamp that seems to compress the input rather than letting it flow" perhaps....

Still, if I decide to make a voltage doubler how will that affect the working point ? Would it be any good?

Dunno....What do you have in mind?

Cheers,;)

fdegrove said:
Like in if you want gain, that's what wrong with them...

Pffbt. Two tubes can do 10-40dB gain and still have a low CF style Zo. :)

I knew you'd trip over that one.
Should have said : "You'll have the impression of listening to a preamp that seems to compress the input rather than letting it flow" perhaps....

Oh. One of those "audiophool" terms. :rolleyes:

Tim

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.