• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

DHT DC heater question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi guy

I have a small question about DC heating.

I usualy use AC heater but since I use DHT in driver/input stage, I have to deal with dc supply...

According to RCA manual, with DC supply, the Rcathode should be connected to the negative cathode.

but do nayoen have try theses 3 variation.

Wich one could be the better?
(picture is not 100% clear, positive heater is pin 4, negative is pin 5)

Attachments

• heater.jpg
    heater.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 1,488
i would prefer the left solution but replace the resistors with a potentiometer with a value at, let say, 5 kohm, with the wiper connected to ground, put it in centerposition and eventually adjust it for lowest hum.
the above written applies to AC-fed filaments
if you use DC-heater there's no such problems with AC-hum.. and the negative on the DC-supply would anyway go to the powerground.

happy new year folks!!

The left consumes filament current in the divider resistors (about 1W total); otherwise it is electrically identical to the middle. The middle's problem is it uses two bias resistors (though one less than using two small dividers and one bias R), inconvienient at a glance or if you need to rebias it. The right is proper and the bias voltages will be correct (assuming you got the filament polarity as indicated in the datasheet).

This is a common misconception with DHTs: people assume that a divider is appropriate, especially with AC; it is. But not a single data sheet I've seen states AC filament power -- ALWAYS DC, with a certain pin grounded. NEVER center-tapped for DC.

Tim

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.