• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Tube Nube - need advice on Scott LK150

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I was given a H.H. Scott LK-150 "Stereo Master" amplifier. When it was working it sounded awsome (but I could heat my house with it). The Power transformer smoked and needs to be replaced. I have no idea what transformer to buy or where to get one. I have the schematic for the amp and parts list but there is no mention of the secondary voltage or current in the schematic.
Can anyone help me with the power supply?
Can someone explain what voltages should be on the un-labled transformer outputs? I do not see voltage marked for the 5AR4 heaters, I assume it should be 5V 1.9A. It looks like both plates are tied to 405V and the Filament and cathode are tied together to the heater output of the transformer. This leaves a unknown center tap voltage coming from the heater section of the tranny. Can someone help me with the unknown voltages on this beast?
The Scott part number for the tranny is TR-30-4-2 if that is any help. I have never been able to cross reference the tranny part number to anything.

Attachments

• lk150.gif
    lk150.gif
    67.3 KB · Views: 362
You need 405-0-405V at 300 mA or more, tapped for bias at 36V or more, two 6.3 V windings at 3.5A or more, and 5V @ 4A.

The Hammond 378CX is close - a bit short of filament capacity though, and no 5V winding. You could use solid state rectifiers, and filament overload would be OK, since overall rating is higher (465 mA vs. 300 mA required). If the Hammond's 4 3/8 x 5 1/2" core size is the same, the end bells could be used from the old transformer to keep original mounting.

You may be able to get it rewound or get a custom made replacement - I've heard the name Heyboer transformer in this regard. Heyboer

Secondary current requirments

Tom Bavis said:
You need 405-0-405V at 300 mA or more, tapped for bias at 36V or more, two 6.3 V windings at 3.5A or more, and 5V @ 4A.

The Hammond 378CX is close - a bit short of filament capacity though, and no 5V winding. You could use solid state rectifiers, and filament overload would be OK, since overall rating is higher (465 mA vs. 300 mA required). If the Hammond's 4 3/8 x 5 1/2" core size is the same, the end bells could be used from the old transformer to keep original mounting.

You may be able to get it rewound or get a custom made replacement - I've heard the name Heyboer transformer in this regard. Heyboer

Since there are 4, 6550 tubes in the output wouldn't the current requirment be 600Ma? And the heater current be 10V @ 4A or more?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.