• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

old tubes, what to do?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I found at home a box full of old tubes from the 60's to 70's era.

probably about 30 of them. mostly are still boxed and unused but the cardboards are deteriorating.

some 6CB6, 6AL5, 6AX4, 6K6 and many more others. I'm thinking about tinkering with a tube preamp?

well, this is going to be my first attempt with something "tubed" :D

Hi

First of all, read this:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=30172

and

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=30172

After you've done that, I would recommend you start with identifying the tubes you've got. All tubes can be used for audio (according to sh3mat1c), but some are better than others. A good tool is de tube database from duncanamps.

http://tdsl.duncanamps.com/tubesearch.php

Or type the code of the tube in google or in the search function from this forum, together with "amplifier", "audio", "pre amplifier" and see what you get.

djQUAN said:
oooh, interesting. thanks for the links.

*starts with the reading*

although one question,. do older tubes have shorter working life than newer tubes? (I mean older by date or period of manufacture, not by how long they were used)

N.O.S. (new old stock) vacuum tubes from the first time vacuum tubes ruled are often of superior quality to those manufactured today and can actually last longer than modern examples of trying to manufacture vacuum tubes.

rcavictim said:

N.O.S. (new old stock) vacuum tubes from the first time vacuum tubes ruled are often of superior quality to those manufactured today and can actually last longer than modern examples of trying to manufacture vacuum tubes.

hmmm. that's a good thing in my case. :)

in my case, these are very old ones. :) but I don't know where to get replacements after these things stop working. :xeye: worry about that next time. :clown:

Lol, I wouldn't worry too much about running out of tubes just yet.

I have radios with original tubes from the 30's and 40's and they still work just fine. My grundig console with el84 outputs has all of its original european tubes in it and I never turn it off. It sits there generating heat all year round (5 years now?) and hasn't changed noticeably. Sure it does get turned off once in a while, but mostly it stays on.

It is, however, very useful to have a collection of tubes. If you have room and a safe place for them, keep lots if you like them. I do this because I restore and use old radios and military equipment. Or basically anything that has tubes. It's really nice to be able to bring an old radio home and have the tubes for it right in my shelf.

350? :hot: I'd never know where I'd use all those if I ever had them. my dad wants a tube amp but I don't have any output transformers or sources for them so I went with the next best thing. the tube preamp.

basically, I've been into solid state all my life so this is something new to me. :) but I've had experience with high voltage.

I don't know where to get some tube sockets over here (gonna start looking for that) but I think it's fine to solder the tubes on the PCB? I'm going to use 12AU7, 9 pin miniature. I'm still gonna look for the sockets though.

I can't find tube sockets over here so I soldered them to tha board. :D

one question though, the circuit needed 220uF 350V caps so I went looking for them. the local store had only 450V 220uF caps which cost Php80 (local currency, ~US$1.5)each and are too big for my PCB, then I looked around and saw 120uF 330V caps, bought these instead as they were Php60 for a pack of 5. they were supposed to be for photoflash applications. paralleled two so now I have 240uF 330V caps. :clown: these were for the PSU.

as far as I know, I see no problems with these?

Photoflash capacitors give you very high energy density by reducing internal insulation. They will not last if subjected to heat or ripple current (another way of saying heat).

It is always wise to obtain the parts first before committing to a PCB layout or chassis layout. Of course such is not possible when ordering a pre-made blank circuit board.

The French have a saying....bon chance. :D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.