• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Anyone tried UL or Triode connecting the $140 kit ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
percy said:
This little kit keeps getting my attention. Anyone tried modifying it to Ultra-Linear or Triode-Connected mode ?

Are you talking about the S5 Electronics kit? I have built one and think it sounds very good, especially for $140.

However the OPTs supplied with the kit don't have UL taps so you'd have to replace those. No idea about triode connected mode though, never crossed my mind.

I had thought about replacing the OPTs with a pair from Uncle Ned just to give it a listen. He has a P-P OPT with UL tap and it looks nicer than the open ones in the kit.

http://store.yahoo.com/triodeel/tf65wscta48o.html

Yes I am referring to the S5 kit but didnt specifically mention that as the same kit is available from a two or three different vendors.

I recollect from my earlier findings that the OPT primary Z should be 10Kohm. But if you change to UL or triode I believe that will change.

Tom, have you done the UL mod ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.