Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th December 2004, 01:06 AM   #11
nanana is offline nanana  Sweden
diyAudio Member

to:fdegrove,
hey man, thats cool...
for your info, i'm not in the tube selling business. my boss is. i'm in the tube manufacturing business. i also design equipment for pro-audio and musical sound effect business, but i was an diy tube "audiophile" for a long time too.
jc
Old 20th December 2004, 01:13 AM   #12
diyAudio Senior Member

Hi,

Quote:
i'm in the tube manufacturing business.
Wow...Now THAT is what I'd call COOL.

Do you mind letting us in on the details?
Where, what, how...

You know what I'm after, right?

Cheers,
Old 20th December 2004, 01:36 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

hey fdegrove,
i don't know and am not sure i want to know what you want...! for your info, i am senior design engineer at new sensor corp. whatever it is, chances are i won't be able to help you anyway because i have nothing to do with the decisions that steer tube production one way or another. that is my employer's perogative... i analyse, troubleshoot and offer direction on production and have had a part in what we make for the last 7 years. and i design gadgets that are sold in music stores, not hifi stores. we are a mass market manufacturer and supply other manufacturers. i am mostly proud of what we do. we make hundreds of thousands of tubes, not hundreds. and if there's not much i can do for your wants, i am still happy to help with how they are made and why they work at all... if i can be of service that way, let me know.
jc
Old 20th December 2004, 03:24 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

Design engineer, eh? Not to sound like a jerk, but, I though New Sensor just re-branded Russian tubes?
Old 20th December 2004, 03:56 AM   #15
diyAudio Senior Member

Hi,

Quote:
i am still happy to help with how they are made and why they work at all... if i can be of service that way, let me know.
Thank you kindly for the offer but I'm already beyond that stage....

Having been a member of that small club, I know exactly what New Sensor "manufactures" and what not....
After all I know the company from the onset, have been a customer too....
Unless telling a factory abroad what kind of wafer to stick under a 6L6 qualifies as such I wouldn't classify NS as a tube manufacturer, would you?

Cheers,
Old 20th December 2004, 05:05 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

actually fdegrove,
your info is somewhat out of date... about 8 years or so. i will forgive your ignorance and attack of me for the moment. please note the following: i have no interest in advertising or defending NS. you can avoid it very easily, as you can me. however, mike matthews has *owned* a controlling interest in the reflektor factory for some time. that is why it is still in business. as for deciding "what kind of wafer to stick under a 6L6" or "rebranding" tubes, you clearly have no idea of who i am or the business at all... that i will save for another day. new sensor sells surplus and it sells new production made in saratov. it also sells the dregs of the JAN auctions and in general tubes found in various corners and holes. but most importantly, it sells what is needed by the industry that buys from it. it also owns electro-harmonix, one of the first and best known sound effects companies in the history of the business. mike is the original owner. mike also owns the trademarks "sovtek", and "svetlana" (where he paid for the tooling of the first 6550 to be made in russia, 6550A), and "tungsol". every tube made currently at the reflektor factory is done under supervision... which is in new york. say what you will about the "sound" or quality of russian tubes, its not for me to argue... but i am the senior design engineer at new sensor and i have products using tubes i helped design in stores all around the world right now... i wonder what products you have in the market? how many musicians use your labor to make music and pay their bills? i don't know you and now i am quite certain that i don't want to... but i am sure you do not know what you are talking about.
jc
Old 20th December 2004, 05:20 AM   #17
SHiFTY is offline SHiFTY  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

nanana, I am very interested in the new range of Mullards that NS is releasing, particularly the EL34. Are they different from the EH/Sovtek? I guess I really like the logo!

As for whether NS is a "manufacturer" or not, I would hate this interesting thread to get bogged down in mere semantics.

In this brave new age of globalism, a Honda bought new here in New Zealand can be made in Thailand with mostly US components (truly!) and still be considered a Japanese car.

My minimal experience with NS has been a quad of EH 6V6s and I had no problems with them: they sound great and perform just fine...
Old 20th December 2004, 05:36 AM   #18
diyAudio Member

Hi nanana. I was the one asking about rebranding and that was an on-the-level question, not trying to be a troll
Old 20th December 2004, 05:57 AM   #19
diyAudio Senior Member

Hi,

Quote:
i will forgive your ignorance and attack of me for the moment. please note the following:
First and foremost: I did not attack you at all, merely stated/corrected some facts.
Same goes for NS, Mike Matthews and whoever else works there for that matter.

Second: When it comes to who's who and what's done where in the tube business, let me just say that you haven't told me anything I didn't know already even if my information appears eight years old to you.
Techically I don't think NS is manufacturing a single tube.
That they buy in large quantities of product from various factories all over the world doesn't make them a manufacturer.

Third: I do know who you are and I don't see what that has got to do with anything.

Fourth: If you'd stop the chest beating and feel a little less offended by what was merely my view of things from my own personal experience, we may all get along just fine.

Fifth: My track record in the field is longer than it may seem to you but in a nutshell: I retired from business at the age of 42 and live pretty comfortably. Not that it's anyone's business anyway.

Cheers,
Old 20th December 2004, 06:00 AM   #20
diyAudio Member

i stand corrected,
good luck to you...
jc

Hide this!Advertise here!