WE316a/VT191 triode - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th December 2004, 06:09 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default WE316a/VT191 triode

Hello Diy members,

I have bought a pair of WE316a/VT191 triodes on Ebay. Now I am looking for data about this tube. Hopefully there are members who already worked with these tubes. I want to build SE amp and I am looking for a nice driver stage. All info is welcome.

Thanks and regards,

Martin
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 316a triode.jpg (67.8 KB, 621 views)
Old 17th December 2004, 06:29 PM   #2
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Never used one, but I must say that this tube looks way cool!
Old 17th December 2004, 06:45 PM   #3
Previously: Kuei Yang Wang

Default Re: WE316a/VT191 triode

Konnichiwa,

Quote:
Originally posted by Diy martin
I have bought a pair of WE316a/VT191 triodes on Ebay. Now I am looking for data about this tube. Hopefully there are members who already worked with these tubes. I want to build SE amp and I am looking for a nice driver stage. All info is welcome.
This may help:

717A driving 316A via 396A Cathode Follower

316A Datasheet

Sayonara
Old 19th December 2004, 10:25 AM   #4
316a is offline 316a  England
diyAudio Member

Default Re: WE316a/VT191 triode

Quote:
Hello Diy members,

Thanks and regards,

Martin

316a is pretty useless as an output stage , but should make an excellent driver . I played around with these things a while ago , and found it can more or less be considered to be a lower dissipation 801 . Ra around 4k , mu 8 . Sockets are unobtainium , I made mine from teflon and receptacles from a V35 connector (as pictured , hope this one is not also stolen......) Another alternative is just to use clip connectors for testing

ps That is my kitchen in the background ! Should read : 'Picture courtesy of 316a' . Please do not steal my pictures in future without prior permission !

cheers

316a
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 316as.jpg (85.3 KB, 586 views)
Old 19th December 2004, 05:11 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Default 316A

Hello members,

Thanks for the info.

Yamamoto is building a tube amp with these tubes ,so it is possible to use the 316 in an output stage !!!!!!

Sorry that I borrowed your picture (steeling is not the right word)

Martin.
Old 19th December 2004, 05:46 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Default Re: 316A

Quote:
Hello members,

Thanks for the info.

Yamamoto is building a tube amp with these tubes ,so it is possible to use the 316 in an output stage !!!!!!

Sorry that I borrowed your picture (steeling is not the right word)

Martin.
Hello ,
Yamamoto canes the life out of his 316a's ! Did you see the operating point ? I have no idea how long these valves will last at 25 watts or so dissipation . Compare the size of the anode to that of an EL34 or in fact an EL84 . To me , and what I have been advised by folks who use this as a driver , it's 8 watts max . It's a class C rated device remember : pulse operation . Pushing the dissipation to 10 watts or so and the anode starts to cherry-up , where they got the figure of 30 watts I don't know . These things are fragile enough already , just getting them sent in the mail is bad enough , they're such a beautiful valve , it would be a pity to cane the nuts off 'em in an output stage . One of many valves missing from Western electric's datasheet page unfortunately , I'd love to see the original specs/curves for these if anyone has these .

cheers

316a
Old 19th December 2004, 08:20 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Talking 316A

With "google" i found more info of the tube,but my chinese
is not that good.

For example, look on this site:

http://www.anc-tv.ne.jp/~suzuki3/amp...a_316A_s_2.htm
Old 20th December 2004, 03:43 AM   #8
jlsem is offline jlsem  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Pushing the dissipation to 10 watts or so and the anode starts to cherry-up , where they got the figure of 30 watts I don't know .
The tube is designed to operate with the plate red hot. It's made of tantalum, you see, and it acts as the getter when it "has colour". No colour and the tube is gassy. I've been told that these little transmitting types only really begin to sing when the plate looks scary hot.

Quote:
One of many valves missing from Western electric's datasheet page unfortunately , I'd love to see the original specs/curves for these if anyone has these .
A spec sheet didn't come with the tube?

John
Old 20th December 2004, 08:31 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Default hmmm...

Quote:
Originally posted by jlsem

The tube is designed to operate with the plate red hot. It's made of tantalum, you see, and it acts as the getter when it "has colour". No colour and the tube is gassy. I've been told that these little transmitting types only really begin to sing when the plate looks scary hot.

A spec sheet didn't come with the tube?

John
Hello ,
I have a GE with a datasheet but it's not very comprehensive . I know the 826 is a valve with this red-hot characteristic but these do not seem to have any gettering , although the 316a does . It would be interesting to know how long these valves last being twatted at 25 watts . The box suggests '50 hours' lifespan which does not seem promising !

cheers

316a
Old 20th December 2004, 08:43 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Default Re: 316A

Quote:
With "google" i found more info of the tube,but my chinese
is not that good.
It's not Chinese, it's Japanese.

That's just the amp that Thorsten posted. (Post #3, 717A driving 316A via 396A Cathode Follower )

Hide this!Advertise here!