• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

ECC33, 34, 35 tubes?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

..........Not to forget the ECC32.
A close cousin of the 6SN7 but not an exact equivalent contrary to what some manuals (and vendors) would have you believe.

For the ECC35 the same applies as above but as if it were to be a close equivalent of the 6SL7.

ECC33 is a computer type (on-off switcher)

ECC34 is said to be the low impedance version of ECC32, according to Mullard.

Good luck finding any..........:xeye:

Cheers,;)

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

Who has a pair of ECC 32's for sale?

I suppose you're not too keen on paying Tubedepot-style prices on that one?

Guess our friends in Japan soaked them up years ago already.:D

Note that most of these octal ECCs have blackened glass and from my experience they beat ANY US made 6SN7 hands down wherever the circuit allows for a direct replacement.

Didn't bother to check the asking price but here's another source....should anyone still be interested:

TUBEWORLD

BTW, IIRC the ECC32 is kind of a IDH 26..........

From my collection, don't know where I got it from:

Cheers, ;)

Attachments

• ecc32_mj ngiken.gif
    ecc32_mj ngiken.gif
    37.3 KB · Views: 731
Ex-Moderator
Joined 2003
Tekko said:
I have heard that ECC82 is a 6SN7 but in a noval envelope and that 6SN7 is a ECC82 in a octal envelope.

No.

They're both double triodes with roughly similar mu (15 for ECC82, 20 for 6SN7). At that point, the similarities end. One was designed with audio in mind and has low distortion, the other was designed as a field scan valve for televisions and has high distortion.

They're both double triodes with roughly similar mu (15 for ECC82, 20 for 6SN7). At that point, the similarities end. One was designed with audio in mind and has low distortion, the other was designed as a field scan valve for televisions and has high distortion.

I wouldn't say "high" distortion, perhaps "higher" would be more appropriate. After all, a fast break at cutoff and saturation is desireable for a tube intended for astable multivibrator service; not so desireable in a small signal audio amp. However 6SN7's aren't nearly as horrible in that regard as 12AU7A's. I was getting estimated THDs with that one as high as 15% :bigeyes: With the 6SN7, I got THD= 4.76% on the basis of V(o)= 232V(p-p). It would be lower for less output voltage. Even the 4.0+% figure is comparable to the measured THD from a funky BJT voltage amp design I once saw on the 'Net intended to reduce THD. The 6SN7 actually does better since most of its harmonic distortion is second order; BJTs produce more higher order harmonics.

Stick to the most linear part of the characteristic, give 'em plenty of headroom, and the 6SN7'll do just fine. No need to get ripped off for those "fancy" VTs. That "Tube World" place is strictly a con-job. :devilr: Avoid.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.