• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

ECC33, 34, 35 tubes?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ex-Moderator
Joined 2003
Miles Prower said:
It doesn't look that way to me. EC8010 was comparing an ECC82 to the 6SN7, claiming that the ECC82 had less distortion since the 6SN7 was designed for use in multivibrator type circuits.

I obviously wasn't as clear as I should have been. The 6SN7 is the low distortion valve, and the ECC82 the high distortion one.

SY: "Old and feeble?" (Waves walking stick angrily.) Step outside and say that!

I obviously wasn't as clear as I should have been. The 6SN7 is the low distortion valve, and the ECC82 the high distortion one.

I knew that already. That's why I thought the comment so peculiar. I have a box full of ECC82/12AU7A's, and considered it for a design I'm doing. However, the THD estimates were consistantly horrible. So I gave up on that. :whazzat: So those will have to go on collecting dust.

6SN7's gave much better predicted results. (As did 6SL7's). Also these have a nice "retro" aesthetic that works well with the 807s that I'm using for finals. :)

I only have limited experience with ECC 82 but for me they only worked OK as a follower, and I've seen designs where they were apparently fine for concertina phase splitters.
Someone mentioned the 6CG7 and 6FQ7 which are indeed much closer to the 6SN7, but they are often referred to as the same tube, though in actuality they are not - the similarity is however close enough for them to be almost always interchangeable. I do have one 6CG7 datasheet which claims that apart from it being noval, it is an electrical equivalent for the 6SN7. I don't think there is an noval ECC equivalent to the 6SN7 which is great shame ;)

Regarding the ECC32 and 35, 6SN7 and 6SL7 are almost always mentioned as equivalents.

I only have limited experience with ECC 82 but for me they only worked OK as a follower, and I've seen designs where they were apparently fine for concertina phase splitters.

I've seen them mainly in RF applications: oscillator/buffer stages, push-pull RF class C drivers/frequency multipliers/singly balanced mixers/modulators/product detectors. Other uses include quasi-digital functions such as Schmitt Triggers, astable multivibrators, monostables, or R-S latches. They do have the dissipation rating for this.

Of course, harmonic distortion is not a problem in such uses.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.