ECC33, 34, 35 tubes? - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th June 2005, 09:08 AM   #11
Banned

I have heard that ECC82 is a 6SN7 but in a noval envelope and that 6SN7 is a ECC82 in a octal envelope.
Old 29th June 2005, 09:15 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

I think you're taking your life in your hands saying that in this forum! By the by, the ECC31 appears to have a shared cathode which means it's not like the 6SN7
Old 29th June 2005, 09:23 AM   #13
EC8010 is offline EC8010  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally posted by Tekko
I have heard that ECC82 is a 6SN7 but in a noval envelope and that 6SN7 is a ECC82 in a octal envelope.
No.

They're both double triodes with roughly similar mu (15 for ECC82, 20 for 6SN7). At that point, the similarities end. One was designed with audio in mind and has low distortion, the other was designed as a field scan valve for televisions and has high distortion.
Old 29th June 2005, 10:36 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by EC8010

No.

They're both double triodes with roughly similar mu (15 for ECC82, 20 for 6SN7). At that point, the similarities end. One was designed with audio in mind and has low distortion, the other was designed as a field scan valve for televisions and has high distortion.

Consider E80CC as a serious substitute well
Old 29th June 2005, 06:25 PM   #15
diyAudio Senior Member

Hi,

Quote:
Consider E80CC as a serious substitute well
A substitute? For what exactly?

Cheers,
Old 29th June 2005, 06:43 PM   #16
EC8010 is offline EC8010  United Kingdom

Hello Frank, long time, no see. Yes, I wondered what Guido meant. Perhaps he was suggesting E80CC as a substitute for 6SN7? If so, I can only assume he has a stash of them, because every time I've looked, they've been horribly expensive.
Old 29th June 2005, 06:44 PM   #17
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Hey Frank... good to see your friendly face...

dave
Old 29th June 2005, 07:42 PM   #18
Netlist is offline Netlist  Belgium

Hi Frank,
A blue Chimay it will be tonight.

/Hugo
Old 29th June 2005, 09:06 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

I wouldn't say "high" distortion, perhaps "higher" would be more appropriate. After all, a fast break at cutoff and saturation is desireable for a tube intended for astable multivibrator service; not so desireable in a small signal audio amp. However 6SN7's aren't nearly as horrible in that regard as 12AU7A's. I was getting estimated THDs with that one as high as 15% With the 6SN7, I got THD= 4.76% on the basis of V(o)= 232V(p-p). It would be lower for less output voltage. Even the 4.0+% figure is comparable to the measured THD from a funky BJT voltage amp design I once saw on the 'Net intended to reduce THD. The 6SN7 actually does better since most of its harmonic distortion is second order; BJTs produce more higher order harmonics.

Stick to the most linear part of the characteristic, give 'em plenty of headroom, and the 6SN7'll do just fine. No need to get ripped off for those "fancy" VTs. That "Tube World" place is strictly a con-job. Avoid.
Old 29th June 2005, 09:22 PM   #20
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

I think EC8010 meant that the 12AU7 has high distortion (which it does) and the 6SN7 has low distortion (which it does).

Hide this!Advertise here!