• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

2x8w SET choice.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
If you dont mind the price, there are SE 300B kit selling for about USD1000. All the transformers and chokes are custom-wound, and are actually very good. The drawback it uses chinese tubes(theyre actually quite good anyway).

However, if you are going to build amps, you might be better off building a good kit and replacing the tubes later on. It is better than building a cheap amp and making another and another.. You actually spend more and left with lots of junk.
Just my 20C..:D :D

dear GeirW,

Let me share some experience.

Now I was using Tannoy Monitor Gold 15 inch ( alnico ) & La Scala
1970's version also use Alnico magnet.
They all were very high efficiency.

From 96 to 104db.

So I can said I not need to much power to drive the speaker.

But recently I had two cheap amp but also very good sound & not need too much money for diyer.

1. 6C33 SE as circuit shows. 15 watts SE amp.
2. EL3N PP 9 watts power output.

9 watts PP sound will not more detail as 300B SE, but the density & sound field will much better than 8 watt SE amp.

another I suggest was EL34 SE. But will higher voltage to get more than 12 watts.

thx

thomas

Gday.

I will deffinetly try both SET and PPT, to atleast see what
suits my flaveour.

Note. I did recently read a article about the significance
of power supplies in quality amps. With the weight on
regulated PSU for SE. The article said something about
a well designed regulated one, would bring more "juice"
than a ordinary one in SE, either it was tube or ss.

power supply

power supply is often overlooked in amp designs, most people just 'put in a fat cap' and thats it. In SE and preamp designs you have to pay more attention to it.
Ultimately, regulated supply is the best for preamp but for power amp, using the correct bypass caps and chokes can be good enough. Select a design which pays a great attention to the PS and you cant be dissapointed.

the juice..

might refer to better dynamics, bass extension & control, smoother midrange, bla-bla-bla..
But you dont need to go as far as a regulated power supply for power amp. It is more benefficial for preamp.
As for power amp, a well designed CLC is good enough. If you follow a REPUTABLE schematic, try not to deviate from it (eg, use bigger cap, fast diodes, etc..) as the designer has probably spent hundreds of hours optimising it.:smash: :smash: :smash:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.