Help me make a preamp decision - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th December 2004, 06:19 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Help me make a preamp decision

Well i'm in a dilema. I can't choose between building the Etude on diyparadise based on the 12b4 and Frank's Ultimate preamp based on the 12bh7a. There is about a $200 price difference. I was leaning toward Frank's, then was enticed the 12b4 can be built for cheap, but after compararing prices, if i sprang the extra money, i could build Frank's.
Whichever preamp i build, it would be driving my Ladyday 300Bs. Please share experience you guys have with either and convince which to build!
Old 10th December 2004, 06:22 AM   #2
hacknet is offline hacknet  Singapore
diyAudio Member

i quite like the 12b4a... seems to be a nice linear tube that can dish out current
Old 10th December 2004, 08:44 AM   #3
drcy is offline drcy  Hong Kong
diyAudio Member

Default $200 price difference?

How to get the above figure? I am planning to build Frank's by using PCB, of course 12B4A is well also with CCS, my second choice.
Old 10th December 2004, 11:16 AM   #4
EC8010 is offline EC8010  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

My experience is that 12B4 needs to be selected for low distortion. If you can do that, fine. Otherwise, the 12BH7A option might be safer.
Old 10th December 2004, 11:49 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

I have built both. The 12B4 has a nice low end but I feel the 12bh7 is more musical. There is something about it that you can listen for hours without getting tired of listening to it. The 12bh7 would be a sweet choice. Just my .02

Hide this!Advertise here!