• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Plitron PAT4006 - advice please

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've built up the bog standard Menno VDV amps.
12AU7 commom cathode amp, direct coupled concertina splitter/driver, matched quad "Winged C" Svetlana EL34s with the PAT4006 output transformer Ultralinear connected.

The O/P Tranny has response to greater than 250kHz and so it will be no surprise to many of you that I have a problem with "squegging" - bursts of HF on on edge of the signal.

I have managed to cure the problem in two different ways
1) fitted 1K 2W metal film stoppers to each screen connection (there were no resitors in the screen connections previously)
OR
2) 100pF cap from screen to grid 1 of each EL34.

Any advise on which is the better method gratefully received.

Thanks
Ian

P.S. I lean toward 1) simply because it will help protect the output tubes - rail is +485V

Grid stoppers to the screen grids (100R - 1k) is almost always needed to stop parasitic oscillations and to limit dynamic screen grid current, with an added benefit; your EL34's will last much longer! ;) Parasitic oscillations can manifest itself by arcing seen near the screen grid in the tube itself.
After that other methods of compensation can come into play if needed!

Wayne ;)

Schematic

Jason,
This is the bog standard simple amp.

Go to http://www.plitron.com/

Click on Toroidal Output Transformers
Standard Series (push-pull)
Publications
and then right down the bottom click on the box which says
Easy to build Push Pull Amplifier using .....

Its easy to build and performance (in Triode Mode) is very good.

Will borrow the digital camera tonight and take a pic.

Cheers,
Ian

Pics for Jason

Jason,
Here are the bricks.

Cheers,
Ian

Attachments

• mvc-403f.jpg
    mvc-403f.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 188
Costs

Jason,

I see that you are in Canada - a big bonus for building these amps.

Boards and Trannies are from Plitron and the Chassis are Hammond Engineering - all good Canadian Stuff. Get local prices from their Websites. For me (being down under) shipping and customs duty added 1/3 again to the price.

I,n about to mod them again - I've been in contact with Menno and he suggests that I rewire them to Ultralinear + shunt feedback along the lines of mods he has done to his UL40-S2 Amps.
Details of that mod here
www.mennovanderveen.nl

Cheers,
Ian

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.