• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Single-end... which tube?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Mr. Triatic said:
ok, the transformers isnt that good... but they will be sufficient :cool:

here's my schematic so far:

input please!! :cool:

ps. i guess that B+ would be around 200-250V?

Hi Triatic !

The 832 is a dual tetrode where the cathodes are internally tied together as well as the screens.
It is difficult to use just an half because if you apply screen voltage without anode one, you'll burn out the screen !
The unused section could be "overbiased" (some -50V at its grid) to void that.
Moreover, ther is also an internal bypass cap between screens and cathode.
But data sheet says its value is some 65pF, forget it !

B+ is allowed to be as hi as 750V, but screens no more than 250V.
Rated anode dissipation is 15W per section.

It was designed to be used in PP, but both sections in parallel in an SE configuration should work.

As a (rough) starting point, I would suggest the following setting:
Va +400, Vg2 +250, IA 35mA (per section) this calls for some -25V grid bias (or a 350 ohms common cathode resistor for the 2 paralleled sections).
With your 9K tranny, this should produce some 7W PO in penthode mode.

In PP you could certainly obtain up to 20W PO.

As a stereo amp (that is one section per channel) it would be avantageous to increase the load up to 15K.

I agree than 12AX7's plate resistor should be 100 to 200K rather than 10K :)

Regard, Yves.

ok, then i have to use two tubes in order to get stereo, and parallell the anodes on each tube due to the SE-mode...?!
the ECC83 can of course be single because i use one half to each channel, i have to raise the 10kohm to 100-200 kohm.
you dont think this construction would be prone to oscillate? i have a feeling that it wont, but?! -i guess i have to try it out :cool:
i can arrange a B+ at 400V and filament supply from a transformer i have.. perfect!

Hi Triatic !

ok, then i have to use two tubes in order to get stereo, and parallell the anodes on each tube due to the SE-mode...?!

Not really.

It would be a very nice and cute to use one half of the 832 for each channel.
Just oversize the cathode and screen bypass caps, or even use Zeners ?

And at 35mA anode current, your tranny will be happier !

9K is not the optimum load, but they should do the job, specially if the loudspeakers are a bit above 4 Ohms !

Anyway, toobs are very tolerant to design "twists", and you should reach your " 2 to 3W " target easily.

the ECC83 can of course be single because i use one half to each channel, i have to raise the 10kohm to 100-200 kohm.

This will give you some gain margin to apply feedback (no tetrode are highly linear).
you dont think this construction would be prone to oscillate? i have a feeling that it wont, but?! -i guess i have to try it out :cool:

Yes ! You MUST try ... and keep us informed !

Cheers, Yves.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Triatic,
You don't need to use two 832's for stereo provided that the cathode bypass capacitor is large enough to assure minimal cross-talk at the lowest frequency of interest.. There is precedent for this approach - just take a look at Bob Danielak's darling or dc darling to see what I mean. (Good sounding amplifier design incidentally.) IMHO I would ground the cathode and use fixed bias instead, with independent bias adjustment for each half of the tube... Make sure in either case that the screen is well bypassed right at the tube to prevent parasitic hf/vhf oscillation and a good low impedance supply seems warranted - perhaps using a gas tube as a regulator..

Kevin K

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
9k ... probably best suited for EL84/6BQ5, EL95, 6V6, ELL80 (2 EL95s in 1 bottle), SV83, ECL86 (often called half a 12ax7 + EL84 in one bottle), ECL82/6BM8 (1/2 12AT7 + EL95 in one bottle), 6AQ5, Russian equivalents....

you need to consider how much current you can flow thru the OPT before it saturates as well.

dave

I have made some changes according to your comments, what do you guys think of this?

( all changes are marked with "*" )

Attachments

• 832amp_rev.gif
    832amp_rev.gif
    5.7 KB · Views: 599
Sorry, should have been clearer about the supply i was meaning. The regulation for the screen grid supply is important to how the amp will sound. At the moment the 4.7K resistor will allow the screen voltage to vary with the ht and any changes in screen current drawn. What I was suggesting is a gas regulator tube. These maintain a fixed voltage across a limited current range. In your application, it would be connected between the screen side of the resistor and ground.

This is the sort of gas regulator I had in mind http://hereford.ampr.org/cgi-bin/tube?tube=0D3

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I would recommend either an 0A2 or VR150 for screen regulation at about 150V..

Cathode stripping of the 832 is one possible consequence of using solid state rectifiers.. If you don't want to deal with an additional filament winding you could use damper diodes like the 6AU4 (single) or 6BY5 (dual) with 6V filaments. Their cathode insulation is designed to withstand about 400 - 500V without problems. An untapped high voltage secondary is no problem just use two semiconductor diodes for the other (negative) side of the bridge. Someone has named this configuration but I can't remember its name.. lol

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

Cathode stripping of the 832 is one possible consequence of using solid state rectifiers..

May I ask why?

Someone has named this configuration but I can't remember its name.. lol

If you mean a pair of semi-conductor diodes followed by a pair of hollow-state rectifiers in a Graetz bridge configuration then that's commonly refered to as a hybrid rectifier set-up.

Cheers, ;)

Yvesm said:
Just oversize the cathode and screen bypass caps, or even use Zeners ?

Triatic has no screen bypass cap at the moment.

The current draw of a tetrode/pentode is more dependent on the screen voltage than the plate voltage. A gas voltage regulator fed by a suitably sized resistor (or a solid state constant current source) is a common way to improve the performance of tetrode/pentode circuits as it keeps the screen voltage fixed (well, not exactly, but the variation will be small). Here is an example of an amp that uses this method of screen voltage regulation (among other things, it's an interesting design): Gary Pimm's PP47

The AZ4 you mention appears to be a thermionic rectifier, not a gas regulator. A gas regulator is the valve equivalent of a zener diode.

audiousername said:

The AZ4 you mention appears to be a thermionic rectifier, not a gas regulator. A gas regulator is the valve equivalent of a zener diode.

AZ4? The poster probably meant to say 0Z4 which is indeed a cold cathode (no filament) gas rectifier tube in twin anode, common cathode configutation like the better known 5U4 and others. It was designed for use with vibrator power supplies in the old car radios and such, saving battery power by not needing a filament supply. It has a minimum and maximum output current range of 30-110 mA.

Here is an example of an amp that uses this method of screen voltage regulation (among other things, it's an interesting design): Gary Pimm's PP47
Fascinated !

Even if Gary describes a PP, some vy interresting ideas such as penthode driver DC coupled to a heavily "voltage feedbacked" output stage could certainly be used in an SE design.
The version with stacked supply is truly appealling !

However, in the present case and considering that Mr Triatic's project is single ended and thus pure Class A, regulating the screens is good but not a must as long as cathode auto bias is used.
The 4K7 resistor looks fine to me if a large (50 to 100µF) bypass cap is added.

Yves.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.