Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd December 2004, 11:21 AM   #51
diyAudio Member

*LOL* ok, Brett is correct, sort of...
-The plate connectors are made of an old powerconnector for motherboards, i chopped into pieces with three wiresections each and spared one cable (in the middle) and then put some heatshrinking tube over it.

-I will put in some gridstoppers and try different kind of earthing alongside with ferritebeads on the filamentsupply..

->rcavictim: you say that 829 are even more prone to oscillate than 832? i have a few NOS of those as well, i might try them 8-)

if i cant get it to work, i replace the 832 with two EL34 instead.
Old 22nd December 2004, 01:04 PM   #52
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Triatic
[B
->rcavictim: you say that 829 are even more prone to oscillate than 832? i have a few NOS of those as well, i might try them 8-)

[/B]

What I meant was since the 829 being larger has higher inter-element and stray capacitances than the 832. The higher capacitance would theoretically 'tune' your radio receiver to longer wavelengths. I was trying to be funny/clever.

I also thought of 'trees' answer but didn't bother posting it. In aftermath I should have since that joke got a much better audience response!

My solid state homebrew mag phono preamp was acting as a shortwave receiver once. Fidelity was excellent!
On April 01,2012, my radioastronomy Project TARGET SETI search succeeded. The signal came via extradimensional subspace, not radio waves. I now get a lot of 'visitors'. I took my avatar pic of one friend watching me in my work yard from just 20 ft. away.
Old 23rd December 2004, 04:22 AM   #53
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rcavictim
What I meant was since the 829 being larger has higher inter-element and stray capacitances than the 832. The higher capacitance would theoretically 'tune' your radio receiver to longer wavelengths. I was trying to be funny/clever.
lol... I get it now. A tad too subtle perhaps...

Quote:
The plate connectors are made of an old powerconnector for motherboards, i chopped into pieces with three wiresections each and spared one cable (in the middle) and then put some heatshrinking tube over it.
Is the heat a problem? I have a few old motherboard power connectors around perhaps for an 829, but I have a horrible feeling they might melt The plate pins were originally meant to be mounted to some sort of heatsinking device (like some Eimac valves), weren't they?

EDIT:

Quote:
(well, hopefully it sounds better than it looks...)
It looks great! No need to apologise.
Old 23rd December 2004, 06:05 AM   #54
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Brett is correct
Now to find a woman that'll say that, most of the time. Without the sarcasm.
Old 23rd December 2004, 07:37 AM   #55
G is offline G  United States
diyAudio Member

From actual experience (I own a SE EL34 amp that I personally built) A SE El34 amp with a 5687, E182CC or 7044 tube as the driver operating at a idle current of around 12 - 15 mA is a very versatile, economic and sonically excellent piece of equipment. You have to use good output transformers ( I use Magnequest TFA204s with the EL34s idling at 50-55mA depending on the brand and build of tubes) and good components (Kiwame carbon films. Mill's wirewounds and Aeon caps) but the payoff is substantial when you listen to your favorite old songs and hear what the engineer heard when he recorded it. You also have the advantage of being able to subtlety change the sound by switching between driver tubes. The bass is solid but not overstated (in triode mode) but is present and accounted for. A lack of solid bass in my music is like trying to walk without a big toe on one foot. You can do it but you are definitely aware that it is missing. I have posted the schematic for the amp I built below. I hope you or someone will try out this simple yet excellent (the sound, not necessarily the design) circuit and enjoy the value and the financial practicality of it. BTW, A EL34 in triode mode can achieve a comfortable 6 watts at moderately high (90mA with the Electro harmonix and CEDs) which gives you a greater range of loudspeakers that it can be used with. If I can ever achieve the linearity and purity of a 2A3 using a EL34 I will immediately tell everyone all about it. In the mean time this amp, utilizing cheap, easily obtainable and affordable tubes (except for the E182CCs and the highly sought after and over hyped Mullard EL34s) does not leave you dissapointed and yearning for it's distant and far more expensive cousins. Merely mildly curious about what all of the DHT hoopla is about. Enjoy if you choose to.

G
Attached Images
File Type: gif se el34 (small).gif (14.1 KB, 432 views)
Old 23rd December 2004, 07:42 AM   #56
G is offline G  United States
diyAudio Member

And here is the Power Supply. Solid yet simple and straight forward. More inductance and capacitance can certainly be used if you choose but this design is very solid with a comfortable amount of power capacity headroom.

G
Attached Images
File Type: gif se el34 psu (small).gif (14.7 KB, 383 views)
Old 25th December 2004, 09:08 AM   #57
diyAudio Member

well, i still have problems with the oscillations, all i have managed so far is adjusting the oscillation frequency... 8-/
but i wont give up!! i plan to re-route the grounding as next step.
-i was thinking about the gridresistor going to B+ is that a correct value or should i change?

->Brett: good luck... i've been trying to find one for years now, no success yet... i think we've run out on those

->audiousername: mine connectors show no "melting-tendencies" , just not yet, but 'ill keep my eyes open (or the nose..)

-but now it's time to fill my belly with lot's of food and a huge amount of beer!!

Hide this!Advertise here!