• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Audio Electronics Supply AE-1 problems

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi guys. Im sorry i am definitely a newbie when it comes to repair. I have an AES model AE-1 I got from a freind that is not working. He had changed it to an outboard power supply, So i was left to hook the wiring back up. I am sure I have the wiring correct becuase I have the original kit build sheet.

When i fire up this preamp the power light comes on, but the fuse blows after a few seconds (slow blow fuse) with or without tubes installed. It seems to me that everything is visually fine in the chassis. I assumed something was shorted so i went though the build kit instructions and everything was okay. This pre sat in my buddies basement for god knows how long before i got it.

I do not really know where to start. If anyone needs to see pictures etc... let me know. Is there anyone in the chicagoland area who could possibly lend a hand? I really want to learn but have a terrible time making it through the technical stuff that is online.

Thanks guys - Evan

I'd suspect bad power supply caps, shorted rectumfriers (rectifier diodes), power transformer, or even miss-wired PS caps i.e. polarity reversed. Did you ask the former owner as to why he used an outboard power supply? There's always a little caution to be observed when obtaining a piece of equipment that's been modified by someone.

WARNING!

As for this "technical stuff" , I'd familar myself with it BEFORE going any further! This is your wits not to mention your LIFE we're talking about here! Please read our Saftey Practices sticky at the top of this page and do some research! And get a buddy who knows this stuff to help you! My brother (who knows this stuff!) once hooked a power supply cap backwards (12VDC) and was noticing (feeling) the cap was getting hot and the cap Exploded (like an M-80!) :eek: in his fingers, he'll won't and hasn't done that again! :whazzat:

Always best to caution on the safe side! ;)

Wayne

Evan

Your power transformer is shorted. It is now necessary to make the decision as to purchasing another one for $95 plus shipping and repairing it or selling it as is and moving on to a hand made project. It has some nice features such as separate regulator circuits for the heaters and separate power supplies both sharing the same transformer. The circuit is so so and could be a lot better with suggestions from Frank and others. It does have so high dollar caps in it.

Anyone else have suggestions for Evan?

Yeah, It's probably the pwr transformer. That may be why he used an outboard/seperate power supply. If it was the rectifiers or the filtering caps he could of just of replaced them. But you never know for sure so check them also just in case. Especially if you buy a new pwr transformer! And oh-yeah don't be tempted to replace the original fuses with higher rated ones. I know you wouldn't do that but...just posting that for any-one else that may be reading this!

120 USD for a 6SN7WGT upgrade-pair? Pffttt! Not to mention the other upgrades! :rolleyes: Makes me want to de-skin all my electrolytic power supply caps and my interconnects! :whazzat:

Cheers
Wayne :D

Hmm, what to do now. I am not sure exactly what my next step will be. I think regardless I will be fixing the AE-1. It makes sense to me just because I really need the practice and experience. Joe had mentioned modding this to a tube rectifier etc... I may do this as well just for practice.

If i get it fixed and working well stock is it worth any money? I have a feeling i will end up parting with it either way.

Thanks - Evan

If i get it fixed and working well stock is it worth any money? I have a feeling i will end up parting with it either way.

Well I wouldn't go that far! I would keep it cause you can do a-lot with it! You've got a nice chassis to use, try some different topologies and you could come up with something that would beat the pants off the stock unit! :) I know that's what I would DO with it! ;)

Cheers
Wayne :cool:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.