• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Hammond 300BX for a Dynaco modified Mullard 5-20 circuit

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Power Supply comments

No I don't think its overkill

With a 5U4 rectifier you should get about 480V DC across the first capacitor (the 30uF) and perhaps 465V DC across the 20uF on the other side of the choke. I would increase the 20uF to say 100uF the choke will prevent this stressing the rectifier too much. Watch the capacitor voltage ratings - you WILL have to use series electrolytics with voltage share resistors across them.
I would also add 1K 5W resistors in series with the EL34 Screen connections to the ultralinear taps.

Do NOT be tempted to use 5AR4 rectifier instead - it would push the DC supply (across the 30uF) to about 520V - Too High.

Hope this is some help,
Cheers,
Ian

@ wongkk

No overkill here! The Hammond 300BX would be about perfect in this case. Two 47uF 350WV caps in series with 100k -220k 2W resistors across each cap of the first capacitor, two 100uF-220uF 350WV caps in series with 100k-220k 2W across each for the second should do the trick. For the 12pf cap from the screen grid of the bottom EL34, I would use a high quality (500V min.) NPO ceramic or a silver mica @1kV, if you can find one of that value. 15-10 pF would probably be a good sub. For the 20uF cap after the 18k 1W (6CG7/6FQ7, better yet a 6SN7!), a 47uF 500WV or two 100uF 350WV in series would be a good choice here.
The gain of this amp is a little on the high side.

Good Luck ;)
Wayne

Regarding the 12pF cap from the screen grid of the bottom EL34, can I eliminate it ? :xeye:

Any idea what does it do to the overall circuit?
:confused:

It is a HF compensation cap. It's there to stabilize the amp at high frequencies, as it is used in the original circuit utilizing the specified/original components.
If you plan on building this amp let's say with a different OPT or even a clone/replacement transformer it may or may not be needed. It may well require some other HF compensation scheme. ;) It's very similar to: (the same really, diff tubes)

www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=46898&perpage=10&pagenumber=1

Except I like the 6CG7/6FQ7 LTP much better! I would either connect the EF86 as a triode or use a lo-med mu triode such as a 5687. ;)
You could go 6CG7/6FQ7 all the way! Might be a little dark sounding tho. Might be best to use a bright sounding tube as the first (AF amp) stage.

Wayne

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.