• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Spice 3f4 "Koren" models

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Help,

The simulator I have to work with is X-Spice, actually Spice 3f4 with extentions for mixed analog and digital. Its part of the PROTEL 99SE Schematic Capture and PCB Layout suite I use.

I'm looking for Spice 3f4 models for "garden variety" twin triodes and beam tetrode and pentode output tubes. The Norman Koren implementation preferably.

Actually this is an exersize in lazyness. I don't want to sit down and implement/check the models from scratch if they are already available somewhere (that is if someone has already done it).

Converting the Koren P-Spice models to Spice 3f4 is not that difficult its just a pain in the proverbial as there is no direct equivalent function in 3f4 for one of the key P-Spice functions that Koren uses.

Cheers,
Ian

Thanks Geek

Thanks for these models.

One other question.

I have modeled the output transformer as mutual coupled inductors.

Unfortunately there doesn't appear to be an equivalent to the P-Spice K-ALL function in 3f4 so I had to write all of the K statements separately. This seemed to work OK but was a long a labourious process in entering the model.

Any ideas / references on a better way?

Thanks again,
Ian

P.S. Notes for newbies to modeling:
1) The simulation will be exactly as good as your models - no better, no worse.
2) The best simulation of a vaccuum tube is done on the bench using a vaccuum tube.
Despite the above simulation is VERY useful as a method of avoiding basic errors.

Re: Thanks Geek

gingertube said:
I have modeled the output transformer as mutual coupled inductors.

Unfortunately there doesn't appear to be an equivalent to the P-Spice K-ALL function in 3f4 so I had to write all of the K statements separately. This seemed to work OK but was a long a labourious process in entering the model.

Any ideas / references on a better way?

Yes. There are some excellent 3f4 transformer models with CM Student. Rob the models from there ;)

gingertube said:

2) The best simulation of a vaccuum tube is done on the bench using a vaccuum tube.
Despite the above simulation is VERY useful as a method of avoiding basic errors.

Very true. After breadboarding a modeled tube circuit, the DC voltages and currents are usually dead-on, but AC performance? That's where the experimenters know-how comes in ;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.