A music coming from component. - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd December 2004, 03:15 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default A music coming from component.

Dear all,

I recently assembled a 2A3 SE amp. When running in the amp, I used the notebook to play MP3 as the signal source, and connected two 8 ohm, 5W resistor to each output. When I adjusted the volume control into the maximum, there is the small noise coming from the chassis, the MP3 music. My questions are the following:

1. Is the music coming from the components, such as resistor or some kinds of inductance load, transformer?
2. Shall I find it out to change the component? Is it necessary?

Thanks for your time in responding this in advance.
Old 2nd December 2004, 03:18 PM   #2
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

My suspicions would go to any largish coupling caps (especially "designer" caps which often are rather loosely wound) and the output transformer. Try isolating the components mechanically from the chassis- rubber grommets will work for the transformer, some soft hot-melt glue may help with the caps.
Old 2nd December 2004, 03:50 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to Sch3mat1c Send a message via AIM to Sch3mat1c
Pffbt, coupling caps don't have ANY current or voltage through or across them (aside from the DC bias voltage). It's the OPT, especially under clipping when harmonics are more easily heard. Also more easy to hear if the load is disconnected, which is bad mojo at maximum output..

Tim
Old 2nd December 2004, 05:01 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
connected two 8 ohm, 5W resistor to each output. When I adjusted the volume control into the maximum, there is the small noise coming from the chassis, the MP3 music.
I would think so! Why would you connect resistors to the outputs and crank it all the way up in the first place? The so called "small noise" you are hearing is coming from the OPT's as is to be expected!

Wayne
Old 2nd December 2004, 07:16 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by cogsncogs
Why would you connect resistors to the outputs and crank it all the way up in the first place?
Um....testing?

Even more fun when you have 1uF across it.

Tim
Old 3rd December 2004, 01:15 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Default A small noise.

Dear all,

Thanks for your response.

I just attached the photo. The two OPT locates at the upper small compartment, and all other component including the Power Transformer locates in the lower chassis. And the noise comes from the lower chassis.

According to your comments, I will add the rubber gasket between the mounting surface and the transformer.

The reason to run the amp this way is because I just placed the amp in my office. Since the amp was being completed not long time ago, I think for the new mechine it would be better to run it as more as possible. And I also want to know whether it's stable for long time operation. So that I connect two resistors for each output(because in the office) to run the mechine whole day long.

Thanks for all your kind help again....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dsc-small.jpg (8.2 KB, 190 views)
Old 3rd December 2004, 05:19 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
According to your comments, I will add the rubber gasket between the mounting surface and the transformer.
Under normal listening conditions, i.e. not listening to resistors cranked all the way up IMO that would be totally unnecessary. I can duplicate the same on my amp or any tube amp at those conditions! Sooo, don't worry about it! It's normal! You won't hear it! Rubber gaskets won't stop the sound you are hearing at THOSE conditions anyway. Plus it's not a good idea, you need that heat transfer (and electrical) from the OPT to chassis.

Quote:
Um....testing?
Even more fun when you have 1uF across it.
Yeah maybe! And a scope too!

Cheers
Wayne
Old 3rd December 2004, 07:01 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Sch3mat1c
Pffbt, coupling caps don't have ANY current or voltage through or across them (aside from the DC bias voltage).

Haven't you ever heard a big ol' disc ceramic cap act like a little piezo speaker? The old ones did this quite well. Never heard it in the new ones though.
Old 3rd December 2004, 08:56 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Ah, I had a 0.01uF 500V disc on the breadboard once that sang. As I recall t'was the resivoir cap on a flyback supply I was working on; the sound was parasitic oscillations coupled by the PSU rail (oops).

But the whole purpose of a coupling cap is to pass miniscule amounts of current with little voltage change across it, hence it's never going to make a noise.

Tim
Old 6th December 2004, 08:57 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Default thanks for all.

Dear all,

Thanks for your kind response. It seems that there is lots of problem never heard of for me, such as ceramic cap. At first, I am afraid that there may be the error in some components.

Thanks for all your kind response. I decided to re-assemble the amp again, not because of the small noise, but for the poor wiring.

Maybe after the re-assemble, I will report to you whether the small noise still exists. Thanks for all.

Charlie

Hide this!Advertise here!