Russian EL509 / 6KG6 quality question?? - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Gallery Wiki Blogs Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th October 2002, 07:15 AM   #11
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Russian EL509 / 6KG6 quality question??

Quote:
Originally posted by Denis
http://www.cortmi.com.ua/omak
Haven't had a chance to read thru your site, but i have to say that is a very nice logo

dave
Old 18th October 2002, 10:02 AM   #12
JohnR is offline JohnR  Australia
diyAudio Member

I got maybe one in eight failures in a batch of 120 or so I tested and sorted. I forget the exact numbers but it was getting higher than I really wanted... Those were mostly from tubeman.com. A bunch just cracked in the base for no good reason.

The Svetlana tubes come from the same factory as the other Russian ones. ie they're the same although I suppose its possible that Svetlana select theirs. Personally, in hindsight I would say if you want to build an OTL use something cheaper like 6C19s (and hey, you can get those from Gintaras too!) and get more efficient speakers... :-)

HTH,

JohnR
Old 10th June 2017, 07:57 PM   #13
GUNFU is offline GUNFU  Russian Federation
diyAudio Member

Hello.
One of my clients is preparing a monoblock project on analog EL509 manufactured in Russia at the Svetlana plant. Click the image to open in full size. Unlike European, grids manufactured in Russia have not been twisted as usual, but unique frame grids and still covered with gold. He also managed to select the characteristics of 200 pieces from a very large batch. He wants to make monoblocks with 4 lamps at the output and with a kenotron power supply on the powerful Russian kenotrons 5Ц8С(5С8S in Latin transcription). All transformers, both output and power, will be toroidal and made of nanocrystalline core. The secondary winding of the output transformer with an intermediate point and, in addition to the load, lamp cathodes for local feedback will also be connected to it. A similar solution is used in Audio Research VT-130 amplifiers. The bias stabilization is also similar with some improvements. My personal opinion is better to give up kenotron nutrition in favor of two additional lamps. Since I think the quality gain will be more noticeable from 6 tubes and power from the diode bridge than from 4 tubes and power from the 2 kenotrons. The consumption of electricity, weight, and heat generation will be approximately the same.
Old 10th June 2017, 08:21 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Wavebourn
Are they relabelled 6П42С?
Old 10th June 2017, 08:30 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

No 6P42S this tube is slightly smaller than the size of the balloon and the power of the anode than 6P45S / EL509. And 6P42C, both grids are spiral like on all conventional beam tetrodes.
Old 10th June 2017, 08:51 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

http://oldradio.su/main.php?g2_view=...serialNumber=4

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...;45С.jpg
Old 10th June 2017, 09:20 PM   #17
sser2 is offline sser2  United States
diyAudio Member

6P45S is up-rated and ruggedized version of EL509. As mentioned, it has control grid of frame construction, which is gold-brazed and plated with platinum. It has bigger glass envelope to improve cooling. Due to frame grid, these tubes have less scatter of characteristics than EL509s.

Russian tubes were not all made at the same factory. St. Petersburg's Svetlana and Moscow's MELZ were quality leaders in tubes.
Old 11th June 2017, 06:43 AM   #18
diyAudio Member

I hasten to apologize. In the 6P42S tubes, the glass size is the same as that of the 6P45S, and the anode power according to datasheet is supposedly the same 35W, but the photo shows the anode size much smaller than 6P45S see in the above links. The grids is also a unique frame, but the tubes no longer spread to TVs because of poor reputation and eventually was replaced by a more powerful 6P45S. The anode power of the 6P45S in the specification is also 35W, but at the same time it for a long time can withstand all 40W unless other modes are exceeded. And I also saw fresh pictures that the 6P42S also had versions with the same anodes as the 6P45S, apparently it depends on different years of production and plants. But the photo on the link above shows that the small anode of the 6P42S in the pipes of the release until 1972 is unambiguous.
In the general case, the grid of frame construction were in 6P45S, 6P42S and 6P41S. The first and the last have a very good reputation for reliability, and the sound is also very good. But the power of the anode 6P41S is only 14 watts in the passport, although it is clearly done with a margin and the size of the glass and anode. 6P41S I listened to many times, and their sound is more neutral than the EL84 and 6L6. When buying 6P42S, you need to see what kind of concrete design the anode has. Naturally, you need to purchase the design of the anode only such as in 6P45S. http://http://radiowiki.ru/index.php...9.djvu&page=62
Old 11th June 2017, 07:02 AM   #19
diyAudio Member

This is a link to the old article for 1968, it is written that 6П42С had at that time, the total power 24W 28W long-term and short-term. But already had a flat grid of frame. And the size of the glass was already very large.
?????? ????? 1968 ?. ?09 ? ???????? 61
Old 11th June 2017, 08:34 AM   #20
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavebourn View Post
Are they relabelled 6П42С?
6П45С the pinout is exactly the same with the EL509 on current-voltage characteristics are not the same. New released after 1972 6П42С characteristics very similar to EL509, the pinout is not. In General 6П42С can not be labeled as EL509 because of the different pinout, even if it is more like the rest. I think it's possible to obtain due to the copying characteristics of the TV tubes in 60-70 years, and protection from prosecution. But it seems that both the new Russian tubes is good in sound, and 6П42С has more convenient pinout because it is not necessary to submit additionally in beam plate is +50V.
http://tec.org.ru/_bd/17/1737_642.pdf
http://www.goldenmiddle.com/files/EL509.pdf
EL 509, Tube EL509; Röhre EL 509 ID18745, Beam Power Tube

Hide this!Advertise here!