Leak Stereo20 rebuild ? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th November 2004, 09:18 PM   #1
jim is offline jim  Belgium
diyAudio Member

Default Leak Stereo20 rebuild ?

Hi,

I have a Leak Stereo20 in working condintions (although with replaced resistors and power-supply caps).
Should I leave it as is or are there any good suggestions for a rebuild (without chassis modifications !!).

Thanks in advance,
Jim
Old 30th November 2004, 10:59 PM   #2
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

It's a nice amp. IIRC, it had a bizarrely high sensitivity, so you might look at knocking down the open loop gain by 10-15 dB, then increasing the feedback ratio to maintain constant feedback.
Old 30th November 2004, 11:12 PM   #3
diyAudio Senior Member

Hi,

Andy Evans who's a member, once started a thread on his mods for the leak 20.

While I haven't had the courage to search for it locally, I did find a webpage describing the work.

I also have a circuit diagram with Glen Croft's mods of that circuit. In case you're interested I could post it here for you.

ANDY AND CHRIS TACKLE THEIR LEAK.........

Cheers,
Old 1st December 2004, 12:01 AM   #4
diyAudio Moderator

Jim, I probably should have asked first: are you looking for an established design, doing principally parts replacement-type mods, or doing an ab initio design for a totally rebuilt amp?
Old 1st December 2004, 12:47 PM   #5
Stixx is offline Stixx  Germany
I am
diyAudio Member

Hi,

I happen to own a Leak Stereo 20 that was heavily tweaked by Steinmusic "http://www.steinmusic.de/" here in Germany.
I don't know what were the exact changes but knowing Holger Stein for some time he sure replaced everything not sounding to his liking. That includes using liberal amounts of his favourite ERO caps (mostly again bypassed) and also MKT in some places. Tweaking Leak's has been part of his business for the last 20 years. Maybe you'd like to give him a buzz......

rgrds,
Oliver
Old 1st December 2004, 02:58 PM   #6
EC8010 is offline EC8010  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

One of the best things you can do with a Leak is to improve the output transformer. Most loudspeakers these days are nearer to 4 Ohm than 8 - especially those using a pair of bass drivers. But if you set a Leak to match to a 4 Ohm load, you only use half of the secondary.

If you have the courage to take the shells off the output transformer, you will find that the individual windings are terminated on cardboard strips glued to the coil. You can then reconnect them as shown in the right hand diagram so that you use both windings - which makes for a transformer with reduced leakage inductance - a better transformer, and it cost only a little time. You will probably go one step further and connect new wires directly to the transformer and throw away the phenolic tagboard at the base of the transformer and its associated old wires.

Having tweaked the secondary, you'll probably look at the primary and see that it's possible to replace the wires there too. The PVC-covered wires solder to little solder tags inside the paper windings, and it's perfectly possible to desolder them and replace them with longer wires that go directly to the valve sockets.

Although it's highly desirable, reducing the gain of a Stereo 20 can't be done easily. You'd probably do better rebuilding it completely with a different driver. A differential pair with CCS might be nice. There was a thread about this recently.
Attached Images
File Type: gif leak.gif (6.2 KB, 265 views)
Old 1st December 2004, 03:57 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by fdegrove
Hi,

I also have a circuit diagram with Glen Croft's mods of that circuit. In case you're interested I could post it here for you.

Frank, that would be nice !

Quote:
Originally posted by SY
Jim, I probably should have asked first: are you looking for an established design, doing principally parts replacement-type mods, or doing an ab initio design for a totally rebuilt amp?
I would like to do a total rebuild (but still using 9-pin tubes) with a lower input sensitivity.
But I do not want to overstress the powertransformer so I guess this rules out types like the 5687.

Thanks,
Jim
Old 1st December 2004, 06:10 PM   #8
diyAudio Moderator

OK, in that case, I'd agree with EC8010; a nice CC diff amp would be perfect. With EL84s, you don't need huge amounts of swing, making the circuit easier- maybe cascoded ECC88s. Morgan Jones recommended a two tube circuit using a concertina, and while that would certainly work well, a cascode CC diff amp has a certain symmetry and elegance that I find irresistable. If you want to go low feedback, a simple CCDA will work well.
Old 1st December 2004, 06:39 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Default Negative power supply ???

Problem with differential pair with CCS is that you need a negative supply.
I don't feel like putting another powertransformer under the chassis.
Any suggestions ?

Jim
Old 1st December 2004, 08:00 PM   #10
EC8010 is offline EC8010  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Once you get rid of that big tagboard, a lot of room becomes available above and below the chassis; room for an HT choke and a big HT capacitor for the output stage. By comparison, a transformer to provide a -15V supply (which could also be used for grid bias of the output valves) is trivial. Give it some thought. Without the negative supply, your options are more limited.

Hide this!Advertise here!