Valve Warmer/Distortion PCB - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Gallery Wiki Blogs Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 29th November 2004, 05:35 PM   #1
diyAudio Member
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: moon
Default Valve Warmer/Distortion PCB


I would like to have made a type of vavle preamp.

This is what i want from it

Stereo Line Input (2x bal 1/4 inch jack) with Gain Control

A pair of 12AX7 'valves' (or similar/better, Im open to suggestions)

Stereo Line Output (2x bal 1/4 inch jack) with Output Level Control

I do not need Hi Z input
I do not need Phantom
(so isit really a preamp?)

It can be mains powered but has to be low noise.

The guy who can make it for me needs a PCB diagram so can anyone suggest a place I could find one?

Many Thanks
  Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2004, 02:15 PM   #2
diyAudio Member
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: moon
*sho-ryu-ken! bump*

Cant anyone help the Tube Noob?
  Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2004, 03:57 PM   #3
diyAudio Member
Brett's Avatar
Join Date: Jan 2002
I'm not sure what you're trying to accomplish, so it's hard to suggest anything. How much gain? How dirty? What type of dirty?

But first of all, it's going to be so simple no matter what you do that a PCB is a big waste of time, point-to-point construction would take me less time to get it built than simply designing the PCB. With P2P you can quickly and easily change components and futz around with it until you get what you want.
  Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2004, 06:44 AM   #4
diyAudio Member
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: moon
I pretty much want to use it for distortion and to add 'warmth' to some soft synths

it will be used with a delta 66 soundcard as an insert effect in cubase

donít want guitar style distortion but I do want it to get pretty heavy.
so I assume I want lots of gain on both ends, but no need for any preamps

I donít know if the tubes can or need controlling,
I assume you have; input, tube, then output. the output controls/drives the tube?

I hear it will need some sort of cap to keep it noiseless

I am not capable of taking a current PCB and adapting it for my own needs, nor am I skilled enough to tell if the one im looking at is the one I need (though I am trying to learn...)

thanks for ye help!
  Reply With Quote


Hide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Convert a non-valve amp to a Valve (tube) Amp seanthomas46 Instruments and Amps 17 20th April 2015 04:11 AM
6M5 valve PeteMcK Tubes / Valves 15 31st December 2011 12:38 PM
Swap Shanling CD-T80 valve CD player for Quad valve equiment johnm Swap Meet 2 24th September 2009 12:15 PM
Why does a sub play louder in warmer weather? xplod1236 Subwoofers 21 28th May 2006 11:47 PM
Non Linear Distortion testing - Harmonic Distortion JMB Multi-Way 0 20th July 2004 02:54 PM

New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 01:56 PM.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright ©1999-2017 diyAudio

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2