VSE PP1 driver stage - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th November 2004, 11:03 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default VSE PP1 driver stage

Does anyone in diyAudio land have any knowledge as to how well the driver stage from this amp would drive a pair of 2a3's?
I am lashing up the front end in the next few weeks (if I get the parts before the Christmas rush) and was going to try it first with el84's in U.L. mode and fixed bias then the 2A3's also with fixed bias.

Thanks

Andrew
Old 27th November 2004, 11:45 PM   #2
diyAudio Senior Member

Hi,

Quote:
Does anyone in diyAudio land have any knowledge as to how well the driver stage from this amp would drive a pair of 2a3's?
It would work but there's better to be had for driving 2A3s.
The input stage is a cascode (a bit like a small signal penthode minus the noise) which has high gain but unfortunately also rather high output impedance.
For penthodes such as EL84s, EL34 etc. it should work fine.

You could turn the cascodes into mu-followers to drive the 2A3s if you want to stick with a similar hook-up.

Cheers,
Old 28th November 2004, 12:04 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Default Re: VSE PP1 driver stage

Quote:
Originally posted by Andrewbee
I am lashing up the front end in the next few weeks (if I get the parts before the Christmas rush) and was going to try it first with el84's in U.L. mode and fixed bias then the 2A3's also with fixed bias.

Thanks

Andrew
Works fine. For EL84's be warned that it will have a heap too much gain.
Old 28th November 2004, 12:37 AM   #4
RIP

Default Re: VSE PP1 driver stage

Quote:
Originally posted by Andrewbee

Thanks

Andrew

If I'm not mistaken(guessing ), he may have switched to 6H30's or ECC99's, still in his favorite cascode implementation, for 2A3's, 300B's, etc.,... this is from different correspondences on the tube DIY asylum.

The latest schematics haven't been published.
Old 28th November 2004, 01:35 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Default vse pp1 driver stage

Thanks guys.

I heard about a newer version, in fact Allen told me about it, a pp2c but well, you know Allen, it "might" be a while before he sends it to me

I suppose I could replace the 6922's with 6h30's, less gain and maybe a little more omph for the 2A3's.
I have el34's, kt66's (real ones) and kt88's so could keep the triode wired pentode / tetrode but prefer to use a real triode, I also have the 2a3's as well as 300b's but the 300b's are not my cup of tea, at least the ones I have.

On a slightly different note but still related, I have a pair of 100W U.L. Massicore output transformers which I believe were made by G.E.C., huge heavy beasts which were rewound but the bakelite plates with the markings were replaced and I do not have a clue how to connect the secondaries, the primaries were marked. Anyone familiar with them?

Maybe I should try the kt66's triode wired with the Massicores?
I think they have 4300R primaries.

Thanks again

Andrew

Hide this!Advertise here!