Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

my fun....
my fun....
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 25th November 2004, 01:19 PM   #1
OldTubes is offline OldTubes  Canada
diyAudio Member
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Canada
Default my fun....

Just found this forum...

My current guitar amp is a stock 2x6BQ5 PA amp (Keil) that cost seven bucks at a thrift store, powering a 15" Blue Jensen from a Baldwin church organ, all in a Traynor enclosure. The preamp has an EF85 on one mic input, so the signal from my humbuckers is immmediate dirt and the sustain is forever.

I didn't use the three-channel Baldwin amp (2 x 2 and 1 x 4 6BQs) because it is massive and needs three speakers.

I retired a Thomas organ 2 x 6L6GC due to poor stock preamp and more expensive power tubes.

My question is... anybody got a an idea for adding my 16" Hammond spring reverb unit to the Keil?
  Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2004, 10:52 PM   #2
anatech is offline anatech  Canada
diyAudio Moderator
anatech's Avatar
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Georgetown, On
my fun....
Hi OldTubes,
Well, you have to drive the spring with something like a 12AU7 or 12AT7 through a transformer (step down), and amplify the signal with a 12AX7. Mix the output from the 12AX7 into the signal path and use a level control ("reverb"). The signal is "picked off" from the main signal after your inputs are mixed before any tone stage. Check out some amp schematics on the web for ideas.
  Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2004, 08:55 AM   #3
Enzo is offline Enzo  United States
diyAudio Member
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Lansing, Michigan
Look at the schemo for a Fender Deluxe Reverb or for that matter most any tube amp with reverb. The signal is sampled out and reverbed then mixed back in. Fender would do this at the two ends of a 3 meg resistor. Check it out and steal the circuit.

The reverb itself requires a circuit to drive the reverb pan and a recovery amp to boost the feeble pan output back up to what is going on in the amp at that stage. Most Fenders use a small single ended amp to drive the pan with a transformer. The recovery stage is just a triode.

I think I just said the same thing CHris did.

Try the Mr Gearhead site for drawings.
  Reply With Quote


my fun....Hide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 03:04 AM.

Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Resources saved on this page: MySQL 17.65%
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright ©1999-2017 diyAudio