5687 and ccs? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd November 2004, 11:07 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default 5687 and ccs?

Hi all. I've a pair of 5687 and I want to try to build a preamp loading the tubes with a ccs. Does someone tried to do something like this? Where can I find good ccs shematics for this purpose? And which is the best operating point?
I find this:

http://www.pacifier.com/~gpimm/Activ...t_control.html

Very interesting approach, particulary the CCS fed shunt regulators! What do you think about this one?

Cheers

Mark
Old 22nd November 2004, 11:28 PM   #2
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

You might check out the linearity tests that Morgan Jones did. Using a common-cathode circuit biased with LEDs and an 8ma CCS plate load, his results show the 5687 to be somewhat inferior to various 6SN7 types.
Old 22nd November 2004, 11:50 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Default Re: 5687 and ccs?

Quote:
Originally posted by mark_titano
Hi all. I've a pair of 5687 and I want to try to build a preamp loading the tubes with a ccs. Does someone tried to do something like this? Where can I find good ccs shematics for this purpose? And which is the best operating point?
I find this:

http://www.pacifier.com/~gpimm/Activ...t_control.html

Very interesting approach, particulary the CCS fed shunt regulators! What do you think about this one?

Cheers

Mark
I've used the C4S and Pimm BBMCCS in a number of designs and like them, BUT, they sound very different than R, L or Tx loads and you might not like the sound of them. High end audio is about finding the flavour of sonic presentation you like, and some people like these, and some don't. I'd suggest trying and seeing; they're not really expensive on parts.

CCS fed shunt regs are excellent, and I think I'd have the whole system run this way if I could. I use a superreg in the phono preamps, but ditched the 317 based CCS in the original design and used a BBMCCS. Didn't think there's be much difference, but there was. Also tried the same setup in the front end (drivers) of various poweramps and it was great too. Ditto all of this with the CCS/VR tube regs, but not as quiet as the superreg, though cheaper, and better in poweramps I'd say.
Old 23rd November 2004, 01:13 AM   #4
diyAudio Senior Member

Hi,

For a preamp that's going to be fed mainly by a CDP I'd rather use a 12B4A.

To my ears and mind it's far better suited and doesn't suffer the rather darkish colourations of a 5687 being pretty transparent.

Do have look around at this forum, Brett shared a nice schematic a while ago.
You can of course add a CCS (can't remember if there was one in Brett's design).

Cheers,
Old 23rd November 2004, 02:37 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by fdegrove
Hi,

For a preamp that's going to be fed mainly by a CDP I'd rather use a 12B4A.

To my ears and mind it's far better suited and doesn't suffer the rather darkish colourations of a 5687 being pretty transparent.

Do have look around at this forum, Brett shared a nice schematic a while ago.
You can of course add a CCS (can't remember if there was one in Brett's design).

Cheers,
Agree about the 12B4A. My schem has resistive loading, but it wouldn't be hard to modify. Just slap in the CCS and heatsink adequately. A lower B+ would also be possible, say 220-250V.
Attached Images
File Type: gif bretts-12b4a-lineamp.gif (5.2 KB, 2137 views)
Old 23rd November 2004, 08:30 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Mhmmm...the only way to undestand if like the ccs suond is try to implemet it in some way.
For the tube...in my drawer I've got these one:

-6sn7

In your opinion, which is the best option?

Mark
Old 23rd November 2004, 12:03 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

I have built several 6SN7's, 5687, 6922, and 12B4 line stages.

In my opinion the 12B4 vastly out performs the 5687. I was happy with my 5687 until I built Brett's 12B4. After building the 12B4 the 5687 has been scrapped.

On the other hand... Frank's 5692 is well worth the effort.
Old 23rd November 2004, 01:10 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by burnedfingers
I have built several 6SN7's, 5687, 6922, and 12B4 line stages.

In my opinion the 12B4 vastly out performs the 5687. I was happy with my 5687 until I built Brett's 12B4. After building the 12B4 the 5687 has been scrapped.

On the other hand... Frank's 5692 is well worth the effort.

Thankyou for this suggestion...but I want first try want I've in the drawer...5687,6922,6350 or 6sn7.
For the first one, have someone tried this design in the bottom? I've found it on vacuumstate.
For the power supply I like to try a CCS fed shunt regs, can it be a good idea or not? If not please teach me why

Mark
Attached Images
File Type: jpg untitled-1.jpg (36.4 KB, 2027 views)
Old 23rd November 2004, 06:19 PM   #9
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by mark_titano
vacuumstate.
For the power supply I like to try a CCS fed shunt regs
Allen's stuff is superb... the SuperReg shown is a CCS fed shunt reg and is an essential part of the circuit.

You can learn a lot more about this in his Preamp cookbook (an enjoyable read even outside of the audio goodies in it)

dave
Old 23rd November 2004, 06:59 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by planet10

Allen's stuff is superb... the SuperReg shown is a CCS fed shunt reg and is an essential part of the circuit.

You can learn a lot more about this in his Preamp cookbook (an enjoyable read even outside of the audio goodies in it)

dave

Ok, thankyou for the reply.
I want to buy the tubepreamp cookbook but I've got a little problem because I've none credit card ( the only way to pay in online shop... ).
Well, I'll try with a simple depletion mode mosfet. Something like this can work well? With the irf 820/830? I can find easily these two mos...
Attached Images
File Type: gif dmmcccs4d[1].gif (6.4 KB, 1997 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!