• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

freaky new phonostage

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
like this:D

Attachments

• octalpre.jpg
    octalpre.jpg
    175.5 KB · Views: 450
Hi Lars,

Do you have an opinion about the so called Neumann or 4th time-constant?

I do implement it when possible. If I use fixed LCR modlues like the Tango EQ600, there is no chance to implement it. I did implement it in the Octal Preamp (see new thread) and also in a LCR linestage using the 6AM4 triode and discrete LCR networks with coils from Dave Salgle of intactaudio.

Best regards

Thomas

Hi!

have you , by any possibility , values of 10K LRC network , discussed on , now defunct, ANSA forum ?
I've never implemented a high impedance LCR network. I prefer low impedance intercaces between stages anyways, so I had no need for it. 10k LCR values can be calculated easily. My concern would be the high inductance values needed. I'm sure Dave can help you with those (intactaudio.com)

Best regards

Thomas

Hi!

btw .... this one looks Fugly!

:D

I got tired of that construction style myself and changed gears, especially since I went commercial some 2 years ago.

ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting

Do you like this one better ? ;)
That's my big phono and line stage combo, both with external PSUs, phono with EC8020 and linestage with 801A/10Y

Best regards

Thomas

Hi Lars,

I do implement it when possible. If I use fixed LCR modlues like the Tango EQ600, there is no chance to implement it. I did implement it in the Octal Preamp (see new thread) and also in a LCR linestage using the 6AM4 triode and discrete LCR networks with coils from Dave Salgle of intactaudio.

Best regards

Thomas

Thomas,

That does the schematic of the discrete LCR with the Neumann constant look like? What extra components are added? Thanks.

Hi!

A while back I shared a design of a full function preamp with RC RIAA phonosection on AA. I call it the Octal preamp. It uses 6SL7/6N7/6SN7 tubes.
If there is interest, I'll open a thread about it and post the schematics

Best regards

Thomas

Thanks, I am always interested in seeing stuff like this. I had gotten it in my head that I wanted to try one using the 12A_7 series of tubes just for giggles. I can't find the latest version of the schematic right off hand but it is essentially like this with a 12AY7 instead of 12AT7 for the lower element of the mu-follower.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• SmPhonoOutput12AT7.jpg
    SmPhonoOutput12AT7.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 772
  • SmPhonoSchem12AT7.jpg
    SmPhonoSchem12AT7.jpg
    134.7 KB · Views: 789
Hey guys,
This an example of compensation that I simmed. The filters are from a Neumann 1974 cutter. It will still be approximation as Neumanns is 2nd order. If you have Daves chokes, Lundahls or a EQ-2L you can adopt it. The blue is uncompensated.

Attachments

• neu.png
    neu.png
    43.6 KB · Views: 186
  • neucurves.png
    neucurves.png
    89.9 KB · Views: 153
Last edited:
Hey Dave,
You can stay well below 0,1dB with 45mH, this has been showed at your place. What I now showed was an example of the difference between Neumann and std. Will surely be aproblem to do it IRL due to component-tolerances.

Below is another sim that shows the differences between std and Neumann. The *.asc is also in a thread at your place. Blue is Neumann-corrected. Now check tolerance ;).

Attachments

• revriaajfr_133.png
    revriaajfr_133.png
    60.5 KB · Views: 87
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.