• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

spl for 300b, kt88

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have decided my first project will be a 300b (Je labs) or a kt88 SE
My question is will the amp drive the speakers I currently have. a pair of B @W DM 601 S2 , SENS = 88dB 2.83v 1 m. Nominal Impedance 8 ohm(4.3 min). Output x former will be hammond 1627se

Jeff

tenderland said:
I have decided my first project will be a 300b (Je labs) or a kt88 SE
My question is will the amp drive the speakers I currently have. a pair of B @W DM 601 S2 , SENS = 88dB 2.83v 1 m. Nominal Impedance 8 ohm(4.3 min). Output x former will be hammond 1627se
Will it drive them? Yes.
Will it drive them loud? No. Either will give you about 8W, or 9dBW for a max of ~ 100dB for the pair in a small room.
Will it sound any good? Dunno, you may like it, but I wouldn't. I disposed of my 601/2 because they stank and I especially don't like the cascaded 6SN7 in the JE design. A 6C45 or a pentode makes a better sounding driver IME. But hey, this is just my opinion, so don't let it stop you; have fun building and I hope you enjoy it.

Most SE amp lovers have speakers with a bare minimum of 96dB/W and probably average around 101dB/W.

Since efficient speakers are all the craze now, you could probably pick up a pair of 101dB/W units for under $1,000 and buld for a lot less! :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.