• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

6GM8 Operating Point

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
All,
Playing around with a C4S'ed Bottlehead Foreplay clone using 6GM8 low voltage dual triodes on a PCB. Thinking will use either a 24V or 30V B+ (max plate voltage rating). Anyone have any thoughts on a recommended operating point for this tube?
Thank you -ALBQ

Attachments

• 6gm8-foreplaypcb01.jpg
    6gm8-foreplaypcb01.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 401
Hello,

I've used the ECC86 in a CDP output at 3 mA / 15 Va-k. Works fine, maybe a bit on the smooth side sound-wise (which is usually a good thing).

I would try 3 mA / 25Va-k. So, in a Foreplay circuit, set both CCSs to 3 mA, use a 330 ohm cathode resistor (unbypassed) on the input tube's cathode, and use 50V B+.
Check that plate voltage at the input tube is ca 25V (20-30V) after warmup. Grid stoppers - say 1k on input and 10k on cathode follower - might be a good idea.
Ground the internal shield (pin 9).
If you use AC heating, make sure to balance the feed with 100-ohm resistors. I would also raise the heater to 10-15Vdc, with cap bypass to ground.

Good luck,

6gm8 (ecc86) Bias Point.

The circuit I'm using has +/- 22V supply rails. Its a cathode follower, with a CCS connected to the cathode.
Its a line level preamp, with the expectation driving a power amp with a 100 K input impedance.

I tried 3 different methods trying to figure a good bias point for a 6gm8

1) A load line was plotted on the plate curves, provided by a Philips data sheet.
Using a CSS the load line is horizontal - however, the 100 K load should also be included.
This adds a slight tilt to the load line.

After some measurement on the plate curves, Vgc ~ -0.37 V looks good, with I = 3.4 mA

2) I have have my home made RC signal generator which creates an e shaped waveform.
The input and output waveforms were compared.
Couldn't see much, if any difference, between the 2 waveforms, changing the bias current from 3 mA to 4.9 mA.

3) A complete system was connected and listened to :
CD player ==> 6gm8 line level preamp ==> MOSFET chip amp ==> B&W 110's.

Music was Beethoven Piano Concerto No. 5, second movement (Lief Oves Andsnes)
and Dave Brubeck - Time Out.

A trimmer pot was adjusted without knowing what the bias was.
However, the bias was kept between 3.0 mA and 4.9 mA

After quite a number of listening sessions - finally settled on Vgc = -0.39V
Measured the resistor value, and calculated the bias current, which worked out to be 3.4 mA

So driving a power amp with a Zin = 100 K ,
I'd say X marks the spot when Vgc ~ -0.375 and I = 3.4 mA

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.