Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th November 2004, 03:42 PM   #21
Fuling is offline Fuling  Sweden
diyAudio Member

markp:

The punch thing my brother explained did not involve roller bearings or bolts.I know what kind of punch you mean, but I cant explain what I mean

It seemed very easy to build one though, so I think Ill let him have a try
Old 19th November 2004, 03:43 PM   #22
mcs is offline mcs  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by markp
Where do you get your punches from? A good quality Greenlee can cost from $30 to $250 depending on size and shape!
I use the punch kit from Triode Electronics - they work just fine. Have a look here: http://store.yahoo.com/triodeel/toolmarkit.html

Best regards,

Mikkel C. Simonsen
Old 19th November 2004, 05:58 PM   #23
diyAudio Member

Guys,

Could somebody please explain me how to use a greenlee hole punch, preferably with some photos? they look quite complecated to me Can they also cut holes directly on a metal chassis, not just a flat panel? Obviously, a flat panel would be much easier to cut...

Are they also available in square shapes? It will be quite useful for mounting a motor-run cap.

And exactly which type of greenlee should I use? In case of holesaws, there are many different types available (carbon, carbide, bi-metal, diamond...) and many of them are not suitable for cuting hard metals.... I don't want to get confused this time like what I did for the holesaws and chose a wrong one....

I'll try to find some in eBay, as I can only make payments by PayPal and it will be quite helpful if somebody can help me to spot a good one in the listing, preferably ending very soon.

Thanks guys,
anzac0613
Old 19th November 2004, 06:34 PM   #24
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

They're pretty simple. You drill a hole in the chassis large enough to accomodate the center bolt, place the cup part over the hole, push the bolt through, then screw down the cutter part. Once you have one in your hands, it will be really obvious.

There are square ones, too, but they're expensive and don't amortize as nicely as the round ones.
Old 19th November 2004, 06:40 PM   #25
diyAudio Member

Greenlee hole punches show up on EBay all the time -- you can do a very nice job with a hand drill, a 1/8" drill and a punch -- drill within the outline, place the chasis on a block of wood and with a hammer knock out the hole -- then use a rat-tail file to smooth out the hole.

On my first ham rig (1963 -- a 6DQ6B keyed cathode job) I did such a poor job that my father took the chasis down to his plant and had one of the tool-and-die makers redo the whole thing!
Old 19th November 2004, 06:54 PM   #26
diyAudio Member

Scroll saw with a 28tpi spiral blade here. Just keep it and the cut path oiled and it goes through like the proverbial hot knife through butter
Old 19th November 2004, 07:56 PM   #27
diyAudio Member

Man, the greenlee punches are sooooo expensive in eBay!!! mostly $150-200 for non-hydraulic ones!!!!

It'll break down my student budget rightaway!!

If I can get the driver separately, I might be able to save money by buying only the sizes that I need...

Could you guys tell me what kind of driver is used for this? I can actually see greenlee puches with both square and hex shaped bolts... Do all bolts of the same shape have the identical size? otherwise I might have to get a driver that can accept bolts in various sizes.... Things are getting complecated and expensive now...

It is possible to get only the driver in eBay? I need a proper name of the driver to search it......
Old 19th November 2004, 08:04 PM   #28
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

The driver is referred to as an "open end wrench." 99 cents at your local Ace Hardware. A "socket wrench" is a fancier option.

Edit: I just checked the price of a 1-1/8" Greenlee round punch- $35.
Old 19th November 2004, 08:31 PM   #29
mjounot is offline mjounot  Canada
diyAudio Member

Greenlee tools are ridiculously expensive.
I use Qmax hole punches. They are cheap and work very well.
I bought an assortment of them from Princess Auto.
For thick aluminium i once modified a Forstner wood bit with a file.
It worked beautifully.

Mike
Old 19th November 2004, 09:02 PM   #30
markp is offline markp  United States
diyAudio Member

Grainger carries individual punches and parts for them too. The non-round punches are expensive but worth it in time saved and perfection of the cut.

Hide this!Advertise here!