• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

6CA7, El34 or 5881?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Next saturday i will go to one of the most interesting electronic fair in the north Italy and I have the intention to buy a quartet of tubes for my next project, a push pull amp. :devilr:
I need at least 10W and I think that a good solution is to choose one of these three kind of tubes: 6ca7,el34 and 5881 ( I need to consider the best combination price/performance)
What's your opinion?

Thankyou in advance, Mark

Here's one you did not mention: 7591... They WERE an excellent output tube!
I've read somewhere that quality of the current production 7591's have gotten better. I've had no experience with them, the current production Sovtek's or Electro-Harmonix. Here in the US the Sovtek's run about 55 USD and 76 USD for the Electro-Harmonix for a Quartet. And if you can just get by with 10-18W, 6BQ5/EL84's are nice too. 6V6 also. I could go on and on... But if I had to choose, it would be the JJ E34L's or the EI fat bottle 6CA7's. Maybe the EH EL34's, dunno.

Cheers
Wayne

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.