Found 2000 tubes and gear - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th July 2002, 08:24 PM   #31
diyAudio Member

Rick,

I would be interested in three of the types of tubes you listed. I recently acquired a tube amp and am interested in laying in a supply of tubes for future years when they may not be so available. The amp I have uses 6L6GC, 12AX7 and 6SN7 tubes. If you have any interest in peeling off 10 or so of each of those tube types for individual sale, please email me at: jnliu@pacbell.net I would be happy to pay the going rate, though I also would have to do a little digging to find current values, as I am also new to all this. If you don't want to deal with small volumes and would rather unload all of them through someone like Welbourne Labs, I understand. Let me know.

Norm
Old 21st July 2002, 03:50 PM   #32
diyAudio Member

Default old eqt

Norm,

So sorry I have not been able to respond any sooner. I will probably sell the entire lot (or lots) to a wholesaler.

Please accept my best wishes in obtaining your tubes,

Rick
Old 21st July 2002, 04:08 PM   #33
diyAudio Member

Default Heath kit AA-40 found

Still finding stuff! How exciting!

I looked in the bottom of a 19 inch rack located in audio/video projection room in the original building constructed in 1956 and what did I find? Heath kit AA-40 in perfect condition (well, perhaps some pencil marks on back panel). Nothing burned or suspicious. One of the small tubes is labeled "heath tube". The other is RCA...someone changed it out?

The two big tubes are EL 34's.

I read through threads and believe this is next course of action for found old eqt going back into service, based on Thatch Ear and others' advice.

1. Don't plug it in, yet.
2. Bake for 2 hours at 200 F.
3. Power up with Variac.
4. Hook up speakers first, then power up and listen.

Is this correct? I find it hard to resist simply hooking up speakers and plugging it in!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

By the way, thank you all for being such a great resource and board!

Rick
Old 21st July 2002, 07:11 PM   #34
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Default Re: Heath kit AA-40 found

Here is an extract from a post on the JoeList by a fellow who does this alot:

Quote:
Here is the procedure I use to bring up an unknown amplifier. First, check the tubes to make sure all are good and none are shorted. Look things over for any indications of anything burned, then with a variable B+ supply, gradually bring up the B+ while monitoring the current drain, until the filter caps are reformed and leakage is not more than a few ma (with the filaments off). If the current is high, locate and replace any bad/leaky filter cap(s). If there is a bleeder, you might want to temporarily disconnect it so you can assess the filter cap leakage more accurately. Ignore large value bleeders, like 100k, or so. Then check the voltage across all grid resistors (with the B+ on, filaments off) to determine whether there are any leaky coupling capacitors. Use a high impedance voltmeter for this. There should be very little voltage across any grid resistor. If so, replace the coupling cap. By this time you should have found most of the problems, and quickly, at least those that could be catastrophic. You might want to measure the resistors to see if any are grossly out of spec. Then power it up and see whether it hums, or smokes, whatever. You should check the power tube(s) bias, whether fixed or cathode bias, immediately upon powering it up, which preferably should be done with a variac. If it hums, locate the bad filter caps and replace as required. Here is a good way to determine whether a filter cap still has its rated capacity. While observing the magnitude of the ripple on the scope under load (or perhaps with an ac voltmeter) parallel a known good cap of the same value across the cap under test. If it has full capacity the ripple will be reduced to half it former value. Precharging the cap with a series resistor is advisable. If you are equipment-challenged, to be PC, then with a speaker connected see if the hum is decreased appreciably when the cap is paralleled by a known good cap. There will be some hum reduction even if you are paralleling a good cap, when there is a bad cap elsewhere, but not neaarly as much as when the bad cap is paralleled, anyway, measuring the ripple reduction is preferable. If the power trannie is bad, you will find out soon enough. If bad, it will blow fuses, smoke, smell bad, overheat, or some combination thereof. You should have eliminated a bad rectifier tube, bad filter cap (or other short) and bad coupling caps before ever turning it on. A variable B+ supply can easily be made using a surplus power transformer, rectifer, filter cap and a variac, which every bench should have. It should be fused. After assuring normal operation, have a listen, then upgrade components as desired.
dave
Old 24th July 2002, 02:59 PM   #35
diyAudio Member

Default old eqt.

Thanks a bunch, Planet10!

I am still deciphering those instructions but will implement ASAP!

As I am still very green to this field and board, I can't help but wonder if this organization or an individual has thought about compiling and indexing all of the great information (instructions) provided on this site for future (easy) reference.

Just a thought,

Rick
Old 24th July 2002, 05:22 PM   #36
diyAudio Member

Fragman56,

As you can see from the botom of my page, I make amps. I also collect and restore antique radios. The short of it... I would like to purchase some of those tubes you already listed. In particular:

1L6
EL84
12AX7

I will pay what you ask within reason, like $8-$10 each for the EL84, but not over $15 for the 1L6. I do know what they are worth, but not willing to pay what some overprice them at.

email me at gabevee@yahoo.com

Thanks!
Gabe
Old 20th May 2004, 03:41 PM   #37
rif is offline rif  United States
diyAudio Member

Just stumbled into this old one!

fraqman56 -- what ever became of your stash? I need closure on this tail

Any stuff you kept that you may want to part with?
Old 20th May 2004, 07:37 PM   #38
diyAudio Member

fragman -

I know several companies will buy NOS tubes. I sold Richardson Electronics 35 6LF6's about a decade ago for a good price, for instance. You can make up a list of tubes you are interested in selling and distribute them to many companies that advertise NOS tubes for sale.

As far as the tubes that are currently most popular for audio e.g. 12ax7, etc. you may want to hang on to those and sort them by manufacturer and certain construction details. Some of them may command premium prices on Ebay, for instance.
Old 21st May 2004, 08:08 AM   #39
diyAudio Member

Thoriated,

Have a look at the date: This is an old thread.
Must be a dream come true to find somthing like this however...
Old 29th May 2004, 12:52 PM   #40
diyAudio Member

Default still got the tubes

I have thought about selling the whole lot and even got a quote but just haven't.

I will probably just hang on to them all. Currently pulling all the tubes out of some old, found o-scopes. Those have lots of tubes inside!

Rick

Hide this!Advertise here!