Found 2000 tubes and gear - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th July 2002, 01:25 AM   #21
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Default Re: old eqt.

For looking for tube info you should have this bookmarked:

Duncan Amps

dave
Old 16th July 2002, 02:04 AM   #22
diyAudio Member

I have been in and around the surplus business.

My advice, sell as much of it as soon as soon as you can.

Decide what is valuable and what isn't and don't look back.

Do not let people cherry pick your stock,
sell it in as big of lots as you can.
Old 16th July 2002, 02:09 AM   #23
diyAudio Member

Let's not forget the guitar players - the RCA plack plate 6L6GC is a favorite. Likewise the 6V6 for lower powered amps.

And old radio nuts like me know that NOS 1L6s go for $40 (used in '50s Zenith shortwave portables) and the 6E5 "magic eye" tubes (used in many '30s console radios) go for nearly as much.
Old 16th July 2002, 12:16 PM   #24
dice45 is offline dice45  Germany
diyAudio Member

JasonL,

internet communication can be tricky, no body language, you know, and next time mark jests. OK?

Dave and Thatch_Ear,
please do feed hints for beginner's amp project, I would not know where to look.
If i look at the tubes, a Williamson amp using triode-wired EL84 for output and 6CG7/6FQ7 for input and phase splitter would appeal to me. But i have no idea where to look for circuitry already hassled out. Maybe use triode wired 6L6GC instead of EL84, rest of the parameters should need no change then for the Williamson circuit.
Maybe not sacrifice the fancy 5691/5692 for the beginner's project although they would fit perfectly.

Rick,
don't dillydally, run and salvage the books! Anything faintly related to analog and regulating circuity, amp design, measuring, oscilloscope circuitry, scope manuals is worth keeping. And post a list!

The GE data book is a condensed tube parameter list; it is the most complete i have ever seen. I 1st look into it if i inquire over parameters or see a type i do not know. I can then decide upon comparing parameters if the tube in question is similar enough to give it a try in a known circuit. Or i can say, gain=3 makes me happy, plate resistance fits and transconductance is sufficient for the intended purpose. Depending on the knowledge i have.

Amp project: if you build a Williamson style amp, you cannot got wrong sonically. Look in the Sound Practices from Summer 1993, p.10 ff; there is a modern adaption of the Williamnson amp described. V1: 6DJ8/6922, V2: 12BH7, V3+4: 6L6GC, 807 or similar. I know a guy who built it, he is raving about it.

It depends on what output transformer you can obtain. You should need 4kOhm primary plate2plate for 6L6-GC or the like, and 10-12kOhm for the EL84. Latter might be hard to find.
Old 16th July 2002, 02:07 PM   #25
grataku is offline grataku  United States
diyAudio Member

BIG RETRACTION:
MISTAKEN IDENTITY!!

ApexJr. maybe the best trader on the face of the earth for all I know. It was stupid of me to post something like that on the basis of my faulty memory. My apologies to Apex JR. and to all the people that read my earlier post!!!
Old 16th July 2002, 04:29 PM   #26
dice45 is offline dice45  Germany
diyAudio Member

JasonL,

had totally overseen you were referring to grataku's post with almost the same wording. Apologies!
Old 16th July 2002, 04:53 PM   #27
diyAudio Member

Default old eqt.

Good morning,

Aud Mot--thanks for the good advice; it may take a while to organize before selling in lots but time will be on my side after setting the eqt aside

Tom Bavis--good to know the value of some of these tubes

dice45--thanks for the third party encouragement. If I find books and literature as you've described, I'll post titles, etc.

planet10 suggested I consult Duncanamps for schematics. I briefly visited the site but have not had time to find the suggested Williamson amp. If I find it, I'll build it unless pursuaded otherwise.

Next task, dig around and locate those transformers!

Thanks,

Rick
Old 16th July 2002, 05:02 PM   #28
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Default Re: old eqt.

For a 1st project i'd actually recommend a little SE amp (i'd choose EL84, but you may want more than the 2-4W this will put out), not because it sounds better or worse than the Williamsom Bernhard suggested, but because it is simplier. The deciding factor may well be what iron is available.

dave
Old 18th July 2002, 06:00 PM   #29
diyAudio Member

Frag,
Most every audio amp built using a pair of power tubes in a Push/Pull configuration is based on the Williamson Circuit. So you have a large advantage as to used tranformers. Like Dave I also suggest a Single Ended instead of a Push Pull simply because of it uses fewer pieces, less soldering and might work with well with speaker you own now if they are efficient enough. I would suggest the Eico AF 4 as a good starting project since getting a manual on it shouldn't be too hard. Better transformers that the kit had are advised(especially the power supply) but the design is a good one and getting a complete how to build it manual is a great help with 1st projects.
Thatch
Old 18th July 2002, 07:54 PM   #30
diyAudio Member

Default old eqt.

Gentlemen:

Thank you for your recommendations. I have located the Eico AF-4 schematic and will continue searching for the manual.

I am anxious to get started. I'll keep you posted on progress....

Rick

Hide this!Advertise here!