• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

tubecad is back

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I learned electronics while growing up (my father was a physicist).

I learned how to compute and calculate in school.

I learned good design practices by experience.

However, I learned how to THINK about electronics by reading John Broskie and Nelson Pass.

I've matured a lot. First, it was building some Pass amps. Now, I'm busy buying and building with tubes. There's a lot of "design maturity" that can be demonstrated when your starting point is Broskie or Pass.

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

Thanks for bringing it to our attention, Reinhard.

I'm no big fan of blogs but the November inputs struck me; the Aikido, Gomez circuits immediately struck a chord.
While I'm familiar with the Gomez amplifier, I've never heard of the Aikido circuit before but guess what:

Here's one of the designs I did for a Japanese firm well over ten years ago, have a good look:

Cheers,;)

EDIT: Don't know what you guys think about it but despite of what's said about the SRPP and its derivative circuits, there's nothing push-pull about it that I can detect....:xeye:

Attachments

• 12bh7a_srpp_wcf.gif
    12bh7a_srpp_wcf.gif
    8.2 KB · Views: 542
fdegrove said:
Hi,

Thanks for bringing it to our attention, Reinhard.

I'm no big fan of blogs but the November inputs struck me; the Aikido, Gomez circuits immediately struck a chord.
While I'm familiar with the Gomez amplifier, I've never heard of the Aikido circuit before but guess what:

Here's one of the designs I did for a Japanese firm well over ten years ago, have a good look:

Cheers,;)

EDIT: Don't know what you guys think about it but despite of what's said about the SRPP and its derivative circuits, there's nothing push-pull about it that I can detect....:xeye:

What about the voltage divider to the grid of the second bottom triode? Isn't that important for the noise performance?

Sheldon

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

Isn't that important for the noise performance?

If it's the PSRR alone you want to improve, then yes it is in fact the essence of the Aikido trickery.

Note that in the circuit I've shown a regulated PS is used (mandatory) even though it doesn't actually say so on the diagram.
J.B.'s point however is to show how you can use the properties of the feedback mechanism within the WCF to not just reduce the distortion of the previous stage (whether that distortion is generated within the stage or injected into the grid at the input) but by balancing the two stages and reinjecting a well chosen amount of noise into the WCF's grid most of the PS noise is cancelled out, increasing the PSRR of the otherwise poor figure for the SRPP to such a degree that PS requirements can be greatly relaxed.

By doing so, the circuit acts not much different from a classic series regulator or, for that matter, the so called "ripple killer".

Personally I'd rather use as clean a PS as possible to start with as I do not want audio and PS noise to mix but that may just as well be anal retentiveness on my part....

Another advantage of cascading an SRPP into a WCF is that the output is capable of producing a much cleaner full (PP) sine wave than any other cascade that I know of into almost any load.
Something the SRPP alone just can't achieve, which is one reason why I've presented one of my designs.
Please note also that, if you'd care to analyse the feedback mechanism of the WCF, a cascade using a WCF at the tail will invariably improve the PSRR of any preceding stage to some extend anyhow IMHO.

The other is just to show that, contrary to popular belief when the SRPP seemed to be the cure all, the SRPP really works best into a well defined load.
Something I think Mike Van Severs once demonstrated quite clearly in an old SP article even though the reason why this occurs wasn't really explained IIRC.

Cheers, ;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.