Anyone used...gulp...kitparts.com? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th November 2004, 04:55 AM   #1
lgreen is offline lgreen  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Anyone used...gulp...kitparts.com?

OK, I keep seeing stuff from kitparts on EBay. Has anyone tried one of their "modified" PCBs or kits? They look like "replicas" of famous amps and preamps. Are they just knock-offs? For the price would we burn in hell for trying them??

From an easy to make standpoint, it seems interesting, they show schematics and pcbs, and you can get an assembled pcb if you wish. Not being familiar with tubes it seems like an easy and cheap way to go....to get something that works, not necessarily something original.

thoughts?
Old 16th November 2004, 05:32 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

I hadn't seen that website... very intriguing... I am curious to know what others think. I personally like the idea of a PCB, as I feel very lazy about DIY these days. I don't want to be creative with layouts anymore- just solder the stuff on there.
Old 26th January 2005, 05:14 AM   #3
lgreen is offline lgreen  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Anyone yet?

Anyone try this yet?

Kitparts Click "high end audio"

Ebay Store

Looks like they have cases and other interesting items as well.
Roland Accuphase, Marantz amps, CAT preamps, etc..
Old 26th January 2005, 05:33 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Several items on his site are similar to what diyaudio.biz sells. I purchased an enclosure and remote relay volume control from them.
Old 26th January 2005, 11:45 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

I purchased from Kitparts

I made the mistake of purchasing several boards (line stage) from them. The first board was supposed to be the (blue Jadis) and they sent me the green board. Rather than go thru the trouble of sending it back I kept the green board and got the blue board for an extra 15 dollars.

The workmanship of the boards is good. They are not even close to being a clone as they advertise. The circuit sounds like **** in stock form. It wasn't until I totally modified the board to be an exact copy of the Jadis that it sounded good. Still have some hum issues to be worked out. Note this is the (Blue) Jadis board.

Frank was kind enough to find a copy of the "true Jadis" and post it. I copied this circuit complete with Frank's changes.

Sonically it is quite good now. It has good bass, mids and highs.

I have the (green Jadis) stuffed and ready to play with but haven't done so yet.
Old 27th January 2005, 10:48 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Blue board

Note .... Caps on bottom

Board could be cut down the middle to obtain two separate channels.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pc180003.jpg (72.1 KB, 744 views)
Old 4th May 2005, 02:22 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Hi,
Could you direct me to the information posted by Frank. By the way, have you ever used the Red Jadis boards? The mono boards?

Thanks, Nick

Quote:
Originally posted by burnedfingers
I purchased from Kitparts

I made the mistake of purchasing several boards (line stage) from them. The first board was supposed to be the (blue Jadis) and they sent me the green board. Rather than go thru the trouble of sending it back I kept the green board and got the blue board for an extra 15 dollars.

The workmanship of the boards is good. They are not even close to being a clone as they advertise. The circuit sounds like **** in stock form. It wasn't until I totally modified the board to be an exact copy of the Jadis that it sounded good. Still have some hum issues to be worked out. Note this is the (Blue) Jadis board.

Frank was kind enough to find a copy of the "true Jadis" and post it. I copied this circuit complete with Frank's changes.

Sonically it is quite good now. It has good bass, mids and highs.

I have the (green Jadis) stuffed and ready to play with but haven't done so yet.
Old 4th May 2005, 02:51 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Hi Nick,

I believe this is what you are looking for.

Never tried the "red" boards. I do have the "blue" boards and they are two separate sections. I have the "green" boards also.
I am not real happy with either boards. If you have the "red" boards I hope you have better luck than I did..
Attached Images
File Type: gif jadis-preamp.gif (9.7 KB, 636 views)
Old 4th May 2005, 03:08 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

I suspect that that means that you never got rid of the hum? Sheesh! It sounded like you worked pretty hard on getting rid of it. It also sounds like I should save my money. Perhaps finish that Marantz 9 clone project. Actually, it's not really a clone. I actually bought the turret board from Vac when they were making the reissues and had the output transformers wound for my by Dennis Hoyer. Unfortunately, I think this stuff is going on ebay, because I don't feel motivated to build this amp anymore.

Thanks, Nick

Quote:
Originally posted by burnedfingers
Hi Nick,

I believe this is what you are looking for.

Never tried the "red" boards. I do have the "blue" boards and they are two separate sections. I have the "green" boards also.
I am not real happy with either boards. If you have the "red" boards I hope you have better luck than I did..
Old 4th May 2005, 10:44 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Nick,

Unfortunately I don't feel motivated to do much more with these projects at this time. I suspect that after I get thru doing my wifes honeydew list I may take a crack at them again.

I wouldn't ebay your project yet. You may feel different in the future.

Maybe these overseas boards suffer from my inability to bring out the best in them or maybe they might be better served with a regulated power supply.

Joe

Hide this!Advertise here!