bootstrapping two SE transformers into a pp one? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th November 2004, 07:40 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default bootstrapping two SE transformers into a pp one?

i konw you can bootstrap them together, but is there a special wiring to have them operate like a normal push-pull transformer? i've got a pair of old japanese el84 ones that could be very nice but i have no use for aything in in stereo..... i was thinking of deigning a monoblock to match my current one made out of an old hammond for the basement now too.... any ideas?
Old 14th November 2004, 12:25 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Default bootstrap

connect them in series and use the connection as a center tap, I think. Then you have a plate to plate load of 2 times the SE transformer load.

Just guessing here, perhaps someone could offer better advice.
Old 14th November 2004, 12:55 PM   #3
benny is offline benny  Australia
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to benny
spot on fragman, except P-P load will remain the same as single tranny coz turns ratio is still the same. for example, take two 2k SE trannys and put both primary and secondary in series, turns ratio will stay the same.
Attached Images
File Type: gif new.gif (2.3 KB, 156 views)
Old 14th November 2004, 06:51 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

cool i thought this was right but you guys confirmed it, thanks a lot! power at same bias should be the two tubes combined now right?
Old 14th November 2004, 08:34 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by benny
spot on fragman, except P-P load will remain the same as single tranny coz turns ratio is still the same. for example, take two 2k SE trannys and put both primary and secondary in series, turns ratio will stay the same.
IMO Benny's idea will not work satisfactorily. The only chance is if the two separate secondaries are hooked up in parallel to each other and the speaker load. Even that arrangement will yield gross inefficiencies over a proper single output xfmer.
On April 01,2012, my radioastronomy Project TARGET SETI search succeeded. The signal came via extradimensional subspace, not radio waves. I now get a lot of 'visitors'. I took my avatar pic of one friend watching me in my work yard from just 20 ft. away.
Old 15th November 2004, 04:39 AM   #6
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

I know Steve Deckert uses 2 SE OPTs in his Torii and calls it push-pull...

I asked essentially the same question here:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showt...5694#post55694

As i've given more thot to it, i think you probably end up with a variation of a PSE amp....

dave
Old 15th November 2004, 12:57 PM   #7
JimW is offline JimW  United States
diyAudio Member

Default bootstrapped se

I did this very thing. I have a pair of stereo 2a3 se amps, so as an experiment I hooked the outputs in parallel, out of phase, and then made a simple voltage divider to use one input tube as a paraphase inverter. They work very well. I think there are a couple of manufacturers who are doing this type of output configuration.
Old 15th November 2004, 01:34 PM   #8
jlsem is offline jlsem  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
As i've given more thot to it, i think you probably end up with a variation of a PSE amp....

You won't derive the benefit of true push-pull in that DC inductance in the core won't be canceled and the transformers will saturate at high current. In other words, you can bridge the windings, but not the core.

John
Old 16th November 2004, 01:10 PM   #9
jlsem is offline jlsem  United States
diyAudio Member

No need to bother with a phase splitter as well.

John

Hide this!Advertise here!