2A3 power supply transformer - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th November 2004, 08:42 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default 2A3 power supply transformer

I am making a simple 2A3 amp and it is my very first tube amp. In making it, I bought a good price tube power transformer from asia with the spec of primary @110V and secondary @ 380VAC. Because the US is running at @120V, therefore, the new secondary output became 418V, instead of 380V for 2A3's design.

Since I am new in tube, can I use the 2A3 working under 418VAC (before rectifier 5U4GB)? Should I need to modify anything to accomondate the higher voltage?

Thanks,

Thomas
Old 11th November 2004, 11:07 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Default should be fine

The difference in transformer secondary voltage between this one and the one you describe is not very significant. If you are trying to get everything perfect, then maybe you should be concerned but in reality you could change a few values and arrive at the correct voltages with no trouble. It is a lot easier to reduce voltage than make it up...sorta like making something shorter is much easier than making it longer!

Please realize that all voltages will change slightly using this transformer vs the one called for.

Besides that, the voltage supplied to your house is not exactly 120v all the time and everyplace.

Yes, you will need to check calculated voltages to determine if you have any problems but I'll bet you are probably ok.

Can you analyze circuits, voltages, drops, etc?
Old 12th November 2004, 01:24 AM   #3
arnoldc is offline arnoldc  Philippines
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to arnoldc
You can lower the first PSU cap to "tune" the voltage to the desired level.
Old 12th November 2004, 01:38 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Can you analyze circuits, voltages, drops, etc?
Fragman56:

Yes, I am trying to learn, but not yet able to figure it out right away!

Quote:
You can lower the first PSU cap to "tune" the voltage to the desired level.
Arnoldc:

Do you mean lower the first cap value? currently my first one is 100uF/450V.

Thanks to you both.

Thomas
Old 12th November 2004, 01:40 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Download a copy of PSUD and start tweaking some values to get it in the range you want. It's free and easy to use. Choke input (LC) would be about right for a 418Vac secondary and as arnoldc has said, you can add a small (<3uF) cap before the first L to tweak the final voltage. PSUD will show you what's going on for this small cap, but I've never found it accurate enough to design and apply directly to the circuit. Start low and build up in increments until it's correct.
Old 12th November 2004, 03:28 AM   #6
arnoldc is offline arnoldc  Philippines
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to arnoldc
Thomas,

100uF seems too high as first cap even for a 5U4-G. I will start with 2uF - L - 100uF and as always PSUD will be highly recommended.

You need to find out how much current is used by your circuit. In a 2A3 it will be around ~50mA I suppose + the drivers.
Old 12th November 2004, 01:24 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

All,

Thanks for the good reminder! I do have a copy of PSUD and forgot to simulate it! (I did use a lot in my solid-state, but forgot to do one in my new tube one, because I thought it is OK by simply follow the schematic).

Thanks,

Thomas

Hide this!Advertise here!