• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Searching for my first tube amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm going to a Hamfest this Saturday with my father. I figured there might be something there worth getting. Are there any Heathkit amps to avoid? Are there any that are more desirable to get? Searching Ebay has turned up some stereo units that seem affordable but I'm sure they don't deliver the same as a triode setup or mono block. No I'm not going to buy off Ebay. Its more of a research tool so I can visually look for the right stuff.

Advice anyone?

If cosidering going for the non-DIY route...there is an incredible deal going on these days at www.av123.com , it involves an integrated tube amp.
I'm not at all associated with them, but I've bought some speakers and amps in the past from them and the service and quality are excellent :)
All their products are made in China, designed in the USA and sold only direct.
The amp is this one:

Attachments

• onix sp3.jpg
    onix sp3.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 365
I'd like to do some DIY stuff or have the ability to fix simple problems. One of my reasons for the Heathkit is my fathers history with them. He has been an HAM operator since before I was born. He has pictures of me on his lap over 30 years ago talking on his Heathkit radios. I'm sure he'd enjoy helping me fix an old amp up not to mention my kid helping also. I might eventually build one from scratch as there seems to be many simple projects with good results.

Thanks for the link.

MPM said:
One of my reasons for the Heathkit is my fathers history with them. He has been an HAM operator since before I was born.

My Father was a ham as well, radio man all his life, worked for Allied Radio and Texas Instr., TX at night, I still have his old "bug"

You may want to check these links:

http://indigo.ie/~walton/300b.html
http://www.boozhoundlabs.com/howto/

Walton's 300B is a project from JE Labs and he has carefully documented his project with the steps all the way through.
And Boozehound's link not only simplifies the theory but builds as he goes, great site.

Best - Stan

G

Joined 2002
Old Heathkits and Eicos will give you good value after a bit of work and upgrading. What type of power are you looking for? What type of music do you listen to? How efficient are your speakers? All of these things play into making a good choice. Mainly though what is your budget?

Will have a set of Fostex fe206e in a BR cabinet. Pretty efficient speakers at 93 db. From what I've read just a few watts will run those speakers pretty good but I don't mind having a few extra. Music taste is varied depending on the mood. Classic acoustic rock probably my favorite with classical occasionally. Lately I've been on a Blue Man Group run. Some of all of it I guess. Budget will be $300 for the amp but thats after the upgrading and/or replacing of parts. I'm considering the DIY options also. Speakers are a Xmas gift and I'm building the cabinets for them.

G

Joined 2002
MPM said:
Will have a set of Fostex fe206e in a BR cabinet. Pretty efficient speakers at 93 db. From what I've read just a few watts will run those speakers pretty good but I don't mind having a few extra. Music taste is varied depending on the mood. Classic acoustic rock probably my favorite with classical occasionally. Lately I've been on a Blue Man Group run. Some of all of it I guess. Budget will be $300 for the amp but thats after the upgrading and/or replacing of parts. I'm considering the DIY options also. Speakers are a Xmas gift and I'm building the cabinets for them.

I built the same speakers that you are building. Make sure to build the notch filter to tame the midrange bloom that you will get with the 206Es in a BR cabinet. Also Parts express has some nice hardware at a good price. I used that black noise absorbing compound (in a spray can) that is used to sound proof cars to dampen the cabinets. I used three coats. It works well. Make sure to use Baltic Birch plywood or good quality MDF (messy). Email me if you have any questions. Don't get in a hurry. Take your time and do it right.

I use a SE EL34 amp with my speakers. I would guess it puts out around 5-6 watts and it gets plenty loud. If you build these speakers I would buy or build a single ended amp. A SE EL84 out of a magnavox or RCA console is a very affordable way to get the parts for a very good sounding setup. Just my two cents.

G

G

Joined 2002
If you build the notch filter into the speakers(highly recommended) don't use the Zoebel. It makes the speakers sound dead. A 3mH Erse "Super Q" (parts express) inductor in parallel with a 4 - 7 ohm Mill's 12 watt wirewound resistor connected to the positive speaker terminal works very well. Enjoy!

G

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.