• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

potted transformers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Neon sign xfmers have always used a black tarlike substance. It melts and flows with high heat. Perhaps the hot liquid tar that municipal workers use to patch cracks in asphalt road surfaces would be good for potting output xfmers. I don't like the idea of epoxy for two reasons. It is way too expensive and you cannot get back in and do repairs if ever necessary.

You want something that's thermally conductive, doesn't have a terrifically high dielectric constant, has low ionic content, low toxicity and ease of processing, and of course non-magnetic. All signs point to platinum-catalyzed electronic-grade silicones with a high beryllium oxide loading.

rcavictim said:
Neon sign xfmers have always used a black tarlike substance. It melts and flows with high heat. Perhaps the hot liquid tar that municipal workers use to patch cracks in asphalt road surfaces would be good for potting output xfmers. I don't like the idea of epoxy for two reasons. It is way too expensive and you cannot get back in and do repairs if ever necessary.

That kind of tar melts at around 200 °C; I believe such a temp could damage the OPTs (at least the insulation layers between windings).

Cheers,

Bruno

For OPT
Why not pot with wax? It great i have used it for 1kv opt.
The wax is light and flows deep in between the windings. That way it prevents corona discharge to a certain level, absorbs the moisture between windings and makes the trans sound better to me, Fuller sound. Also wax melts at arond 70C so when u pour it into the trans the varnish would not melt. Also to remove the wax, heat the whole potted trans in an oven at 100C and all the waxs can be poured out. Beats tar(black substance) any day in performance however it melts low and it is really expensive depending on what wax type u used. For estimate parafin is 4.5kg for USD10, microcystalline wax is 4 kg for USD 40 and beeswax(best in performance and superb smell) 600G for USD 10.

Hope this helps
Cheers
Nicholas

Wax is fine except that I think regular candle parrafin melts at too low a temperature. It could liquify inside the casing on the sides in close proximity to output tubes. It could leak out and make a real mess. There are higher temperature parafins for industrial electrical use.

How about cheap, garden variety potting soil? :D Kidding!

while we're on the topic of transformers, I have a power transformer about 200-300VA, and it came as custom made but the windings aren't encased in varnish or anything. just the whole thing put together then it's there. I want to seal it off or something. there is the choice of varnish, wax, or anything that could be poured into it. any recommendations?

Why bother potting at all? I just used painted tin cans to cover my ouput transformers. Easy to take apart if anything goes wrong.

Attachments

• 6b4g_1.jpg
    6b4g_1.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 206
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.